Intermission

Part 1

"Again."

"Mother I've already tried, it's hard and I can't—!"

"Yes you can," she said as she walked towards his fallen body. She talked in that same tone, he didn't know what to call it. He'd listened to her when she was angry, sad, even happy and proud. But never like this. Her voice sounded......like there was nothing there. To Yuuko, they sounded like words that didn't mean anything, but he could still understood them.

He sat upright, wiping the dirt off his pants, but nothing more. She crouched next to him.

"You need to learn Yuuko. I am going to have to work much more than normal, and there will be days I can not be with you. More importantly, in case something like that ever happens to you again, you must at least learn this much."

"........................"

"Yuuko..?"

"I wouldn't if dad...if father....were here."

"......your father would want you to stay safe. Now come on, on your feet, we are trying again." He stood up as his mother walked across their yard. "Remember to plant your feet firmly and keep low to the ground so you do not get knocked back. Be firm, but not to the point you can not move. Try coming at me one more—"

Her child wasn't paying attention. Of course he wasn't.

He stood up as she requested, but his eyes were glued to the dirt beneath his shoes, his shoulders were slumped, and his face....

Oh....Oh Yuuko...

She paced back to where she'd been moments ago, gingerly holding both of his hands. "Yuuko, sweetheart, is something wrong?"

"Mother," he said, meeting her eyes.

"Yes?"

"How did father die?"

For most of her childhood and adolescence, Hikari had to learn to control herself. Not just emotionally, but physically— she had to control every muscle of her body. And the face was always the most difficult.

For a few moments she had to look away, to stiffen herself. She couldn't afford to lose control. Not here. Not in front of her son that needs her.

When she returned his gaze, she had the bare minimum amount of control in both her face and voice. It was a look of gentleness, maturity, one that she knew would convey to her son that he was far too young to understand.

At least, that's what she prayed for.

"Your father.....Yuuko...um........your father......."

It was breaking. She had to be quick.

"Your father......his heart stopped."

"His.....heart?"

"Y-Yes. Your father was.....sick. It is not the sickness you feel in your body, but one you feel in your mind....in your heart."

"I see...."

She opened her mouth, but her voice caught nothing but cold wind. She couldn't speak. She didn't notice she gripped her son's hands tighter until she felt more of his warmth, but by then—

"—mother?"

"Yes?"

The warmth she felt earlier spread throughout her body. She was confused as to where it came from, the soft and familiar comfort it brought. It felt....like something she had not felt in a very long time. Something she didn't know she needed.