Chapter 1

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 1

Beckett

Waking up with the sun just barely rising over the horizon, the hardwood floor under me creeks as I roll to my back. Or was that my body. Good God, I'm too old for this shit. Rubbing my roughly stubbled face, I slowly open my eyes.

The open wood beams over me could be gorgeous once they're sanded down and stained. The high ceiling opens the small room to the outside with its oversized windows and large fireplace and marble hearth. The house has potential for someone interested in rehabbing it.

And damn it, if it's not talking to me already

It's not a bad dream I'm hearing, as the scratches and scurrying makes me look around uncomfortably. I'm still here. Sitting up with stiffness in my neck, I take a better look at my surroundings in the light of day. The soft beams of light filtering in through the dust motes floating over my head.

The floor is a dark walnut, it's scuffed and scratched but with a little sanding and a new varnish, she'll shine beautifully. New windows, dual pane definitely, a new front door. Framing looks solid but will probably need fresh insulation and drywall, a decent paint job. The wallpaper is horrible, good thing those walls will go. The fireplace, now that's a work of art. Marble and stone stunningly combined to create a magnificent focal point of the room. And that's just what I can see in this room.

Yeah, I can do wonders here. Georgia once again knew what she was doing. The beauty of it is it will be all mine to work with. No crew, no arguing over stains or paint colors. No waiting on anyone to make a decision. It's all mine. And the woman will love it when it's done.

I don't mind the work. It'll keep me out of the gossip from the nitties in town that want to talk about the new guy. They're going to find I'm very boring and will find a new subject for their tabloids. All work and no play for this guy. Standing up to my full height, I stretch out my legs and reach up to stretch my arms towards the ceiling, twisting this way and that to knock the kinks out of me.

First item is a real bed.

Sleeping on the floor will work for a day or two but not long term. And a shower is going to be one of the top fixes. Looking out the front window, I see her walk out her front door and I pause to enjoy the view. The sexy brunette across the street is out early this morning. Dressed in those tight workout pants women wear and a hoodie, those dark curls are pulled up in a tail down her back. There's something sexy about that slim shaft of her neck that makes my hand itch. The ball in my belly tightens as I watch her bend over and stretch. Tilting my head, I smirk at the ideas of what I could do to her in that position.

But I'm not here for a woman. I'm here to work

Reminding myself of that simple fact, forces me to turn from the window and to the task ahead of me. I roll out my neck. I just need to get this job done and then I can move on. That was the deal, I do the job and Georgia will see I can go on my way.

Looking over my shoulder the brunette turns, drinks deeply from her mug before setting it down and sticking her earbuds in. She fascinating, meticulous and relaxed. The pain in my shoulders increases as I observe her calm demeanor. It makes me uncomfortable still I'm frozen.

I keep watching her, and those damn thoughts keep creeping in. She takes the steps down at an easy jog and whistles. Not a weak one either. It's one of those fingers in her mouth, a solid whistle, one I admire. Her cinnamon colored hound plods out from the side of the house and stays right at her side as she takes off for a run. That's a nice sight to start my day.