Chapter 2

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 2

Aubrey

I heard plenty of questions about my new neighbor today. Who is he, where's he from, is he a Bradford? I didn't answer any of them. Knowing his name is Beck is all I've got, and even with that I won't share. I don't gossip. I've had enough of it about me, I won't do it about someone else. Add to that there are plenty in this town, just like Mitzi who are anxious to hook me up with the new guy or see me fall on my face.

No thank you

Driving up to my house, I can see a huge portable trash container in the drive across from my house. Guess Beck has gotten to work on the place. As I get out and let Lump out of the back, Beck comes out the front door, muscles rippling carrying sheets and sheets of broken up drywall. It's a dirty, hard job to rip all that out. He must be tearing the place apart in there.

"Are you demolishing it?" I call as he dumps the load in his arms into the bin.

Beck looks over and pulls out the earbuds he has in. Swiping his arm over his forehead and not looking too pleased to see me or anyone else, he sighs, resigned to the idea of having to talk to me, before starting down his walk. It's as if talking to me is a chore. Maybe I should just leave him be and not say a word. It would be easier I suppose than trying to be friendly. Then Lump leaves my side, his tail wagging in a low easy sway as he greets Beck at the end of the drive.

Beck must like him because he automatically crouches down and rubs Lump a hello. The dog sits like the good boy he is and raises his head rubbing it against Beck's chin showing him affection. Lumps friendly to most people but usually not overly affectionate to anyone but me and Brynn. Seeing this is a surprise.

"Sorry, had the buds in. What'd you say?" Beck asks, rising to his feet.

Tucking his hands into his front pockets, he wanders up the drive with Lump right at his side. "Just asked if you were demolishing the house. That's a big trash bin."

"Yeah, it is." Beck looks back at the eyesore in his drive. "Gutting the place. It needs a lot of work, easier to just tear it all out than try to save shit that's rotting anyway."

I nod, not knowing anything about what he's talking about. I've never done or seen construction work up close, not like what he's doing. A small room remodel, kitchen cabinets, paint, even flooring but not taking walls out.

Taking a good look at Beck, it looks like he's been at it a while, his dark blonde hair is full of dust, the white shirt that's clinging to some very impressive abs is soaked with sweat and smudged with dirt. His jeans snug and low on some very defined hips are torn up in spots that I doubt were there earlier. The toolbelt slung on his hips reminds me of a sexy cowboy with his gun holster resting comfortably on his hip.

"I'll bring you your cup back, I left it inside." He remembers from this morning and starts to head back to his place.

I guess I might as well go on in. He isn't one to stand around talking to people and it looks like he's got a lot of work ahead of him. Going inside but leaving the door open and just closing the screen, I head back to my own kitchen in the back of the house. My place is small but simple, I don't need fancy, or lots of rooms and I don't want to have to clean them. Clean lines, simple decorations with very few knickknacks to collect dust, and calming colors all work for me.

Pouring myself a glass of Chardonnay, I hear the screen open and close and the thud of heavy boots on the wood floor, slow and cautiously coming into the house. "I'm in the kitchen. Come on back." I invite him in. Even though Lump is friendly enough, I know he'll protect me if needed.