Chapter 5

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 5

Beckett

I needed this time with my sister. Quinn has done so well on her own and taking care of Hope without much help. I should have known that Georgia has been spending a good amount of time here giving Quinn the maternal guidance she has needed her entire life. A mother figure neither of us really had but so desperately wanted. It's good to know Quinn has been in such good hands.

Georgia stepped into a role that has been vacant in both our lives for a long time. She gave me a second chance, a purpose for my work, a place in the family and a way to make my home if I decide I want to stick in Texas. But she's given Quinn so much more than I could. Georgia gave her the family she wanted, an ear to listen, a shoulder to cry on, a mother to lean on. I guess we both needed her more than we'd admit.

And then there's Hope

This little girl is a miracle. She's brought a light back into Quinn's eyes that's been gone for too long. My sister has someone to love and give all her heart to. A child that will always be hers. A connection that no one can take away. And she has Georgia to help her through the growing pains of motherhood.

I remember the first night Quinn brought Hope home. Both Georgia and I were here for her and I've still got no idea how she managed to stay up all night with a cranky crying kid and deal with us the next day. But Quinn was determined to handle everything on her own.

Despite our offers to help, she struggled through that night pacing the floor, rocking Hope as she fretfully wailed. Quinn was a rock, nursing, changing and holding her baby until five in the morning when the sun started to rise and Hope finally crashed just as we got up for the day. Quinn didn't go to sleep but made breakfast and kept going.

Georgia, however, gave her probably the best advice.

"Just remember honey, you sleep when she does and you'll stay sane." Georgia told her that morning. I guess she was right because Quinn not only has stayed sane but looks better than she has all year. She simply glows.

Her brown hair shines with the sun, shimmering down on us while we sit out on the beach letting Hope sit against her to play in the soft warm sand. Laying on my side, I help my niece dig a hole with her little shovels. Her squeal of gurgly laughter erupts when she flings sand into the air sending it all over my arm.

"She loves having you here." Quinn smiles down at me, her big dark glasses hiding those big, emotional eyes. "So do I."

"I doubt a two month old knows whether I'm here or not but I miss having you around too." Sitting up, I brush the gritty sand off my bare chest. The sun has lightened up my hair and given my skin a golden hue. I've gotten the chance to surf, swim and relax here. Something I haven't taken the time to do in a long time.

I've worked in the sun for years. My skin has tanned from years in the sun, my body hardened from hours of long hours of back breaking labor and I've stayed in shape. Taking time to let those muscles relax, to just sit down with a beer and not think of what I need to do tomorrow is a novelty. One I'm not accustomed to and can't seem to get the hang of.

So I've called Ethan several times and checked in on Cole. Asking for updates on the demo, checking on the subs for the roofing and landscaping. He is the details guy after all. I've been updated by Leo on the chimney progress at my place and scolded by Georgia for bugging the guys and not focusing on my niece. Working is what I know, what I'm comfortable with. This vacation thing is foreign to me.

I even took to texting Aubrey

I got the update on the few things on my place I had arranged to get done while I was here. She asked about Quinn and Hope. Showing an interest in my family and what we're up to. She even asked me to send her pictures of them.