10 MIDGE

Midge Osbourne didn't know a lot of things in life. He concluded that much after being around so many different people for more than three months. But he did form a few safe conclusions. Number one, Yules were boring. They were boring with a capital bore. He didn't see the big deal in being around the rich ones either. With how much his twin would voice his hate for them, he expected every day to be like something out of an action program.

Which only served to highlight number two, Yules were whiny, lazy bastards. Whining, for the love of the Colony, the whining and crying. Most did no work, and the ones who did only wanted to 'experience' what it was like to be common. So he toured with them, leaving the dangerous-yet-safe-while-I'm-around attractions for the latter days. Should he deviate, which he did often, those whiny, rich bastards would argue, which would eventually lead to a complaint to the Colony after he simply stopped talking and just stared at them: Joshua for example.

With this months' evaluations to a close, he'd been pleased to see that no one bothered disputing the results of the live tours. Only one brat gave him trouble; however, and he was by far the worst client. Joshua. So why the fuck was he in this situation?

Steam rolled from the shower room when the glass door slid back. He enjoyed showers, bathing, anything to do with hot water. His hands braced forward against the wall, he hung his head, allowing the warm water to rush over him.

There was a commotion. Head still hung, he turned, surprised, to see the slim body and the odd underclothes of the woman who hurried into the shower with him. The undergarment was odd in the sense that although it was one piece and it hugged the taut body tight. It was also sheer, making it transparent and leaving absolutely no mystery to the fact that its wearer kept herself in good shape. Closer inspection revealed that it was in fact two pieces, the snug shorts segmented from the sleeveless top half.

Midge kept focused on it, he had to focus on something. Reality was a bit too much right now.

"Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh!" Lydia chanted. "I'm so sorry. Mr. Osbourne, I'm so, so, so, so sorry."

Black gloves still on her hands, Lydia maneuvered Midge into the path of the water. It took some time for the small woman to calm and she only did so when the blood dissolved under the shower, revealing the mended body once again.

Lydia fell silent for so long that Midge followed her gaze. He saw why. On his chest, leading all the way down past his navel, was a scar. Midge hadn't expected a scar.

Disbelief fueled his movements as he traced it. He'd scarred.

Lydia boxed his hand aside so gently that Midge didn't know what to make of it. Her body drenched, but seemingly unconcerned with the fact, Lydia traced the scar downward instead, then up again. When she finally reached Midge's chest once more, she let out another soft sob.

"I'm such an asshole. I'm such an asshole," she chanted.

Despite their height difference, Midge closed his eyes and rested his head against the petite woman's. It was not only a weak thing to do, it was quite dangerous. To his surprise, Lydia tried to embrace him despite his larger size.

"I bet you're scared. I swear. That'll never happen again. Shhh. You're safe. Don't worry," Lydia soothed.

Midge's body burned but he didn't care. He didn't care even slightly. As small as Lydia was, her hold was a comfort. It was a comfort because Midge tried to make sense of why he'd been cut, why he'd bled, and why he'd barely managed to stop it. At his power level, he shouldn't bleed. That ax was supposed to break off, not cleave him. It had been startling and unexpected.

Knees feeling weak, Midge dropped to the floor. Lydia didn't miss a beat. The tender woman gathered him close and hugged him. The strength of the embrace suggested Lydia probably needed the comfort just as much.