22 GAZE

Another hiccup from Queen had them doing one more free fall. Lydia had gotten used to it. She landed in a crouch when they exited the ceiling, wherever they'd ended up.

She wasn't quite sure what to make of it. Midge met her gaze and explained.

"He's drunk."

"But," Lydia looked right then left, "Isn't this the same tunnel? How come we didn't fall deeper?"

"We won't get far from this location. We can't go where we've never been. That's just the way it is with E's," Midge told her, walking past. "You gotta go down to go up. Let's just keep moving. We've gotta find Pan. I can't handle Queenie when he's like this. The last time he got this wasted Pan had to take care of him. I just can't do it right now. We're almost there."

The pitch-black tunnel was one of the coldest Lydia had ever traveled. Queen was untrustworthy, so they rushed through the Deadzone which bordered Impland.

"Don't worry. We're not going too far in. It's taking us longer because we're going around the imps. We shouldn't see any of them. One at the most," Midge assured her.

Her feet falling fast, Lydia hurried to catch up. "Why one?"

"Scouts. They usually track any possible prey which might wander in...drunk for example."

Another hiccup had them saying a unified, "Whoa!" as they sunk into a portal.

Midge grabbed Lydia under her right arm when they landed.

Lydia pulled away. It was an automatic response and one Lydia knew she should apologize for, explain, or counter. She didn't do anything. Midge didn't look safe and tender anymore. Now when Lydia thought of him, she didn't see the big gentle sweetie who'd wrestle her to the ground for a laugh. She saw that punch and the way it had cracked Joshua's face. The screams, still vivid and fresh, Lydia did all she could to fight down her unease.

They stared at each other, not knowing what to say. Midge was the first to start walking. Lydia followed.

Queen was nearly incapable of standing by the time they exited the Deadzone, Big Henry looming before them.

A short time later, they flopped down in a booth. Midge held Queen steady. When he sat across from him, however, that loosened hold sent Queen toppling over.

Midge groaned. "Fuck. It was just two glasses, you lightweight." He called for a waitress.

Hair looking barely combed, Pan lurched toward them, a long black apron guarding her waist.

Pan let out a gasp and put her menu diskettes down. "What in the...?" She sat in the booth beside her E. "Oh no...." As Queen fell forward, Pan turned her accusing glare on Midge. "He's drunk?"

"What gave you that idea?" Midge asked, folding his arms.

"Boa...."

"Hmm?" Queen smiled dreamily.

Pan studied him. "Holy shit, how much did he have? Half a container? Boa. Can you sit up?" Pan let out a yelp when her E buried his face in her neck. "None of that. Come on. Sit up."

Midge watched them, his face set in an expression that suggested he was dying inside at seeing Pan and Queen together.

"I'll get you something to eat," Pan announced as she stood from the booth.

Watching Queen was strange, Lydia decided. She had to keep her eyes on Queen so she wouldn't have to think about Midge. Queen didn't seem drunk at all. In fact, if he didn't move, he could play it off. Anyone who knew him would know something was wrong though, because the man was...quiet.