Chapter 1:

Another night, another cell.

As long as I'm safe and inside. I'll be okay as long as I'm inside.

I hugged my knees to my chest.

"Again McKenzie. You need to stop this." Officer Romania said. I saw her the most in my life. She didn't know why I always got arrested or hid in warehouses. Officer Romania had long blonde hair and green eyes with freckled cheeks. She was about 30 with and little baby girl named Sophie.

"I have to. There's no other way to stay safe." She looked at me with pity. I hid my face behind my knees. My jeans were torn from wear and tear.

"I'll get you some food. I guess another night the computers aren't working."She winked at me.

"Thank you, Fiona." She often told them the computer didn't work. They didn't mind. My worst offense was sneaking onto private property. They have never caught me stealing. And they never will.

"Here, sweetheart." I got up and got the plate of food.

"Thank you." Fiona opened her mouthed but thought better of it and sat at her desk.

"When will you tell me why you keep running?"

"Tonight."I said. I said it before I even thought about it. She looked at me and gave me a reassuring smile. It did little to calm the storm brewing in my stomach.

"I'm here for you." I nodded.

"As you know I'm a orphan, my parents died when I was 13. They were murdered by one of their own friends. We knew him as Shaw. He took an interest in me, said I was...special. Never really understood why. He came to us for dinner quite often but one night...it was different. My mom went to the kitchen to get the salad. My dad was right next to me. Shaw pulled a gun and shot my dad in the forehead then my mom ran in. Shot her too. It went right through her heart. By then the neighbours had called the cops. He tried to grab me but I ran. Shot me in the stomach to slow me down but the cops arrived. I didn't have money or family and no one wanted to adopt me. I started stealing to get myself food and I had a friend from school who would let me see her school work so I never fell behind. I normally helped her. When I was 14 I left the orphanage. Continued to steal, hid in places. He has been after me for 5 years." Fiona smiled.

"If you ever need a place to stay, I'm here." She handed me a piece of paper with an address.

"Thank you." I swallowed. I closed my eyes and thought about my parents. I had my mom's blue eyes, brunette hair and athletic physique. My dad's pale skin.

"How do you feel about mutants?" I asked. The big question. The question that has torn families apart.

"Nothing wrong with them. Yes, they are a little different. But we have no right to treat them like aliens. They are human just a bit more...advanced. Why?" I grinned.

"When I was 15 I came into a new ability of mine." I put out my hand and a bolt of electricity hit her calculator. I sucked the energy from it.

"You're a mutant. Damn, my calculator." I laughed with her.

Another officer came in and whispered something to her and looked confused.

"Um, okay. McKenzie, you have made bail." I looked at her, then I started breathing heavily. It might be Shaw. Fiona opened the door and I shuffled out. She grabbed my shoulder and whispered.

"Remember if you ever need a roof over your head." I nodded.

I slowly walked to the front office.

"McKenzie Charlotte." I nodded to the two men.

"I am Charles Xavier and this is Erik. We are like you."

"Like me?" I asked. They nodded.

"Mutants. If you come with us we'll give you a family and a home. We'll protect you."

"You can't protect me, not from him." I started to walk out.

"Who?" They asked.

"The man who killed my parents."

"We can, I promise you." Erik replied. I breathed in and out slowly.

"Okay, but if he does get close I'm leaving." They both smiled and nodded. Was I really so desperate for a home that I would just go with these strangers? Yes.

We arrived later the next day at a government facility for mutants. When we arrived a girl with blonde hair stood at the entrance.

"Hi, I'm Raven. Nice to meet you." She smiled at me warmly.

"McKenzie. Nice to meet you too." I smiled back.

We went inside. There were 5 people already in the room. Raven sat down on a chair. Charles motioned for me to sit next to a man with brown hair and glasses.

"Hi, I'm Hank." I smiled at him.

"McKenzie." Charles and Erik left to talk to an agent.

Check out my other story -not a X-Men fanfic - called Not All Princesses Are Perfect