Chapter 1 - In Which I Learned Your Names

As promised, here is the first chapter! I'm so excited for this story, you have no idea. Oh, before we begin, I wanted to clear up that Hiromu will introduce herself as Michi Hiromu. Michi will be first but it is her last name. Hiromu is her first name and is what she will tell people to call her. Also, because of her appearance and how she dresses, some people will think she is a boy at first. I didn't want any of you to get confused. Here we go, then! Chapter one, start!

~~~

Michi Hiromu POV:

Step.

Push.

Step.

Push.

Faster. Softer. Quieter. Smoother. Quickly. Go, go! Run. 

Although realistically I knew I was running rather quickly, I couldn't seem to go fast enough. I had been waiting for this moment for what seemed to have been forever. I finally had the chance to grow, to learn, to practice, to understand. You see, though I had been eagerly awaiting this day, I was late. I was always late and I hated myself for it. I knew I had to wake up early to make it to the ship, yet I stayed up almost all night training. I fell asleep right before sunrise, waking with a start to realize I only had 30 minutes to be at the harbor that was an hour away. That is how I have found myself running through the town like my life depended on it; which technically it did. At least my future did, anyways. 

I had arrived at Whale Island two days ago in a poor attempt to pretend I was good at being early. Since then, I've discovered two new animal species, and five different variations of a rare herb I have been looking for. I need to come here more often.

After five more minutes of frantic sprinting, my feet finally stopped in front of the entrance to a large wooden ship. I stared up in awe. This was the exact moment that I had fantasized about for the past 15 months, and it was everything I hoped it would be. Sure, the boat wasn't grand or expensive by any means, but it wasn't the boat I cared about. It was what the boat represented. A new start, with new friends, smells, plants and ideas. I was more than ready to meet more people and add to my family. 

Returning my head to its regular position, I looked at the wooden ramp ahead of me with fierce determination in my eyes. With each movement my legs made, my heart beat just a second faster. By the time I made it onto the ship, my heart was going faster than my feet ever had. I had a stupid wide grin on my face, head spinning all around, eyes absorbing every last detail they could manage. 

My hands grasped the straps on either side of my shoulders, squeezing them tightly in an attempt to try and transfer some of the rapidly built up energy and excitement trapped within my body. I ran to the edge of the boat and placed my hands on the railing, pushing myself forwards with my arms. I leaned over the edge slightly, closing my eyes and breathing in the salty scent of the sea water surrounding us. I let out a blissful sigh, eyes opening. I pushed off the wall I was on and turned around. 

I ran through the entirety of the ship, smiling the whole while. As I was running, I passed a blonde boy who was slightly shorter than me with quite interesting clothing on. I craned my neck behind me to look at him further as we passed by each other, temporarily taking my focus off of where I was going. I quickly came to regret my choice when I felt a head collide with my chest. The force of the collision caused me to stop my momentum and stumble back a bit. Startled, I looked around for what I had run into. 

I quickly picked up on a voice coming from below me. Curiously, I directed my gaze downwards and saw a little black and green haired boy who couldn't have been older than 12. Realizing that I had run into him, I bent down a bit and reached out my hand.