Chapter 39:submissive

Piercing beeping from Mai's alarm clock woke her from a deep sleep she so badly needed. With how overworked her brain had been, sleep was the only peaceful thing.

She lazily sat up, rubbing her crusted groggy eyes. A loud  yawn released from her mouth as she slammed her hand down on the alarm button to shut it up.

Today was a rare day for Mai, as she had no missions to attend. She decided she would take a day to herself, and take a walk to a nearby town for some fresh scenery. A quiet day to herself is what Mai desperately needed.

Her mood was rather replenished this morning, she was trying hard to stay positive and not let the darkness surrounding her win. Mai didn't want to end up lost like Sasuke.

The ice user got up from her bed and walked over to her dresser, opening the top left drawer to pick out an outfit.

She peeled off her pajamas, replacing them with a thick black jacket and a baggy pair of dark blue pants that had a white line going down each pant leg.

After French braiding her long blue hair, she grabbed her ninja pouch in case of running into any rogue ninja.

Throwing on a dark brown cloak, she then left her home and wandered into the leaf village to journey out to a new town.

Of course, Mai needed permission from the Hokage. And she didn't want to get into trouble for leaving on her own again. Being an ANBU was too important to the ice user.

Mai strutted throughout the Hokage's building until she found the door to Lady Tsunade's main office. She knocked on the door and patiently waited for the Hokage's word to enter.

"Come on in!"

Mai swung the door open and spun around to shut it slowly, so that it didn't loudly slam. She then walked to stand in front of the blonde Hokage's desk.

Lady Tsunade smiled upon seeing the blue haired ninja. "Mai, what is it?"

Mai straightened her posture in order to be respectful and professional for the Hokage, even if they were closer than others.

"May I have your blessing to leave the village for one day only?"

Lady Tsunade raised an eyebrow. "What do you need to leave for?" She queried.

"Today is one of my rare days off. I just wanted to have a day to myself and visit a nearby town."

The blonde Hokage shrugged. "I don't see why not. But, never let your guard down. Got it?" She sternly spoke.

"Yes, got it!" Mai obliged, a smirk tugging at her pink lips.

~

The blue haired ninja walked through the thick snow covered woods, light flakes falling gracefully from the sky soaking the top of her locks.

Reaching behind her, Mai flung her hood up to gain some warmth and to cover her head so that it didn't get more wet.

The air was frisk and sharp, a slight breeze every so often stinging her crimson red face while it sent shivers down her body. Today Mai didn't really mind how cold it was, instead she decided to admire the weather and gazed upon the blankets of sparkling snow.

She stopped walking once she arrived at a small neighboring town that was only thirty minuets away from Konoha. Mai unknowingly smiled as she started to venture in.

The town was rather small, but it was busy with citizens walking here and there. They all seemed to be content and happy, which radiated onto Mai.

As she kept walking, a women with blood red hair and matching glasses accidentally bumped shoulders with Mai. The women said a low 'sorry' and continued on, and Mai decided to just drop it.