Chapter 44:insanity

Mai's pov

   "Hey, it's me. It's really me."

I couldn't believe it. I have never been more bewildered than I am right now, starring at my sister who died years ago. This doesn't make any logical sense, I went to her funeral... A ninja came by and confirmed that she was dead...

I feel like my brain has finally gone insane, because there is no way my sister is alive standing in front of me right now. It has to be my mind playing tricks on me, right?

"Listen, I can explain everything. Just not here."

Her voice. It hasn't changed at all. It's welcoming, warm, and soothing. It makes me feel happy and at home with my family. It makes me feel loved and wanted.

As I blinked tears trickled down my cheeks, that were crimson red from the freezing weather. I slowly lifted my shaky hand up, and placed it gently on my sister's face.

One my skin touched hers, I let out an audible gasp, realizing that my presumed dead older sister, was actually alive after all this time.

Maiko widely smiled, reaching out her hands to embrace me into a hug. My body was still paralyzed from shock, so I couldn't hug her back.

Maiko... is... alive... After everything I've been through after she died.. after all the pain I endured, she has been alive all along?

My heart began pounding against my chest almost like it was desperate to rip out of my body. Pure, overwhelming rage filled my veins causing my blood to boil rapidly.

My teeth gritted together, as I aggressively shoved Maiko off from me. Her eyes fell dull, and she looked at me with distraught.

"Do you understand how much pain I've been through? Do you understand how hard living my life is?" I reprimanded.

Maiko furrowed her eyebrows, giving me a quizzical look. "Mai, I understand me dying had a extreme toll on your life. However-."

"Yes, yes it did!" I screamed loudly, causing my voice to break as sobs threatened to escape my throat. "You were my best friend! My big sister! I loved you so much!"

Maiko's eyes filled with tears. She bit her lip and opened her mouth to reply, but, due to my rage I didn't give her that chance.

"Do you know how mom and dad treated me after we heard you died?" I asked through prominent sobs, waterfalls of tears streaming down my face.

She arched an eyebrow and shook her head. "They must have felt-."

I stormed forward, getting inches away from her face. "Dad used me as a personal punching bag! He abused me almost every fucking day!"

Maiko widened her eyes as tears gracefully trailed down her cheeks. "W-what did you s-say?"

"And mom... she became mentally detached. She didn't care what dad did to me!"

Maiko squeezed her eyes shut. "Mai.. I'm so sorry. I didn't think they would ever become so cruel."

I unintentionally let out a chuckle. "Yeah, neither did I. But, ya know, I learned the hard way."

"Did you move out?"

I scoffed. "Why do you even give a shit? You left me like fucking everyone! My own sister!" I screamed at the top of my lungs.

My voice started to burn from the strain I've been putting on it from yelling so much, so I forced myself to calm down.

At this point, I feel completely drained. My body feels weak and so does my brain. Everything has been piling on top of one another, and I'm just done.