Chapter 4

As promised, there's one more chapter coming your way today. 

I don't think I've ever mentioned this but this story is just around 7-8 chapters long. so we're more than halfway through. I might even finish the whole thing in the next couple of days so... we'll see how everything goes

____________

THEN - Perrie

Chris was right. I should have sat down for this. I feel like a tall tree that's just been sawed, swaying slightly before the almighty fall.

"See? I told you you should have sat down," Chris says.

I glare at him and use his shoulder to climb off the table. He attempts to lead me to the couch, but instead, I just move away from him and lie down on the living room floor.

"What the hell are you doing, Perrie?" Chris asks, peering down at me.

"She's doing the exact opposite of what you said. Out of protest," Jade explains. She knows me well. "You said sit down on the couch, so she stood up on the coffee table. Then you said sit down again, so now she's lying down on the floor. It means she's angry."

I look at Chris and point at Jade. "What she said."

"Alright."

"So explain to me what you mean when you say that my mom is dating your dad."

Chris shrugs. "Your mom is dating my dad. That's pretty much it."

"No, no, no. That's not pretty much it. Tell me everything. Start at the very beginning."

"A very good place to start."

"No quipping!" I hold up a finger and wag it at him. "I am lying on the floor of my apartment, hearing about my mother's love life forty-five minutes before your wedding rehearsal dinner. There is a time for quipping, and this is not that time, Chris."

And so Chris begins to explain. That my mother is not just dating his father, but that they're serious enough that he invited her to attend his son's wedding with him. And that they put two and two together and realized that their children knew each other and Mr. Hughes called up Chris a week or so ago and asked him not to say anything until my mother had a chance to speak with me. Because she wanted to make sure I was okay with this. My mother whose calls I've been avoiding lately, out of pure laziness. And now it's too late for my mom to come, so I'm both completely caught by surprise and a terrible daughter.

I'm not sure what to say, so I just sit there. Or rather, lie there, because I'm still on the floor in protest. Protest of what, I'm not sure. Maybe everything. My life and choices and general existence.

"Perrie..." Jade says. "I know this isn't great timing but we're going to be really late if we don't leave right now."

I nod and both Chris and Jade each offer a hand to me. I take them both and get up. When we get downstairs, I pull Jade aside as Chris goes to hail a cab.

"You should have told me sooner," I tell her. "Or at least gotten Chris to tell me."

"I know."

"So we're in a fight."

She nods, looking appropriately contrite. "Okay."

"I'm really mad at you."

"As you should be. I'm sorry, you know."

"I know. But I'm still mad."

"I know."

And then I sigh because I'm getting this feeling, like an itch at the back of my neck and I don't really know what to do.