Chapter Twelve Mara

"Is there anyone else we need to rescue before we go?" The redhead, Tessa I think, asked us.

"I think so, Kathy" I turned toward Kathy. "The hybrids captured my mom a few weeks ago, she looks like me but with longer brown hair. Do you know where she is?" Kathy considered the question and thought for a moment. She then looked at me and pity clouded her eyes.

"The first day they brought her, she tried to escape. She almost did but they caught her. As a punishment they used her as a dummy to be kicked and punched. Your mom died three days later, I'm so sorry."

As I fell to my knees, and tears streamed down my face, Claire folded her arms around me and pulled me into a hug.

"I know it's hard, but we have to go. More people will die if we don't warn the school." Clarie gently eased me to my feet and looked at Blaire and Tessa.

"Do you know a good way out of here with no guards?" Clarie asked.

"I know one place, but it could be a little dangerous. There's a patrol that walks right through the area, unless...." Tessa trailed off. She and Blaire looked at each other and nodded in unison.

"There's another place, it's straight through the Tenrington woods. There are no patrols and it will take longer but all the other ways have guards and if we're caught there is no way we can warn the school. It's our only hope." Blaire explained.

"If it's the only way, let's do it." I said. Blaire and Tessa led the way through the hallways and up some stairs till the corridor opened up into a circular room with two doors. Blaire strode through the first one and we stepped into a huge lab. It took about 10 minutes to get to the end where there was the only window.

"After you" Blaire told Tessa. Tessa rolled her eyes and opened the window. She popped out with ease and motioned us to follow. Kathy's older brother Micheal went next then Claire, Blaire, and I.

"Come on, the path is right this way." Tessa led us through a thicket of trees until we were on a small path, probably made by a deer.

Suddenly a bright light went in my eyes as we turned a sharp turn. The sun was just starting to set, it's bright orange and red colors blinding me. I turned my head to get the rays out of my eyes.

"It will be getting dark soon, we should hurry." Micheal told us, we all nodded our heads and picked up the pace.

All of a sudden a thought struck me, what if we are being followed? I breathed in and at first there were no scents besides trees and my companions, but then I smelled an unknown scent. The scent could be type a squirrel I hadn't smelled before, or it could be a supernatural I hadn't smelled before. The scent got stronger but I held my tonge. If the scent was just a squirrel I didn't want frighten everyone. I breathed in again and more of the scent filled my senses up. There were more.