HP +15

<> ??? <>

I'd almost forgotten what it's like to be so anxious. When was the last time I came to a VR center?

People mill about, peeking into nearby stations and fawning over all those black, glossy headsets shining under the ceiling lights. Gloves cool to the touch lie hanging on the shelves, geared for interaction and fiction's greatest creations. My eyes gravitate to one such set in the far corner.

"How much, today?"

"You can check the chart, I think it's the same as yesterday."

"Great, thank you."

After paying and getting the correct glove size, I pick up my headset. But I don't bother putting it on. Not yet.

If I'm right...they should be coming.

The three of us play at the same hour, once a week. We all play casually, but I have this feeling they aren't who they say they are.

Player one, SugarGod.

Player two, CookieMonster.

If I'm right about my assumption...then I know them. I know who they are in real life.

And if I'm wrong about my assumption...then at least I can put my suspicions to rest. And I must be one crazy guy.

In our gaming session last week, Cookie mentioned something about needing to play in his local VR center because his own VR set at home broke. And Sugar said he'd join him.

As far as I know, the only VR cafe that's really well known in the area is this one. Now might be my only opportunity.

The bells at the front door chime. I find myself glancing a few times. Once, a few girls. Another time, a couple. Not who I'm looking for.

They chime again. Now there's just one guy who walked through the door, not two.

Time ticks by, taunting my patience as though my whims should only be met with failure. It's simultaneously humbling and disappointing. I have second thoughts about shutting off the headset and getting my refund.

I mean, what do I hope to get out of this, anyway?

The anxiety claws at me, pawing at every insecurity that's bubbling to the surface. Those insecure bubbles pop as my patience draws to an end, and I start taking my gloves off.

"Hi...how much for the day? I'm not a regular here, so..."

I freeze in my tracks, captivated by the voice of who I think is the right guy. But if this guy is Cookie...where is Sugar?

I slowly wrap my glove back on.

Lift my eyes.

One guy is standing at the front counter, asking the help desk questions about flat fees and rates. I take my time in scanning him, trying to discern if I found the right guy.

"You can take the station over there."

I whip my attention back to my headset and loosely secure it on my head. My hands reach forward to grab my headphones, but I don't put them on. I wait.

Footsteps.

So he took the station behind mine. Probably can't see my screen from there...not with the wall in the way.

I'm waiting for it. The login.

I log in with my character name, Alien, as the guy in the station behind mine gets his gear ready. I then open up the voice chat that I share with CookieMonster and SugarGod, waiting for him to log in.