6

SPOILS OF WAR
— 6. Death of an Earl

  It felt as though weeks had passed

  It felt as though weeks had passed. Tova was standing near where her father sat on his throne when a man giggling was heard. She turned, frowning when saw Floki being dragged in.

"What is it?" Svein asked in an annoyed tone as Floki giggled.

"My lord, this man says he has a message for you from Ragnar Lothbrok," One of the men who had dragged Floki in informed Earl Haraldson.

Hearing the revelation, Tova frowned, beginning to feel uneasy.

"Let him go," Earl Haraldson demanded and his men immediately obeyed, "What is the message?"

"Ragnar Lothbrok challeges you to meet him in single combat," He informed the Earl, causing Tova's eyes to widen in shock.

Gradually, she began to smile, relieved that Ragnar was finally coming to get his revenge on Earl Haraldson.

"Ragnar Lothbrok has a very high opinion of himself," Svein complained, earning a glare from Tova.

"Well, he is a descendant of Odin," Earl Haraldson commented in a sarcastic tone and the men in the Great Hall began to laugh in amusement.

She turned, shooting the man an angry glare.

"Ragnar said that if you refuse his challenge, then shame would follow you the rest of your life," Floki replied as he gave the man a knowing look.

"There would be greater shame in accepting a challenge from a criminal," Earl Haraldson responded in a cold tone, "That would suggest that I take him seriously; that I see him as an equal."

"The challenge is declined," Svein announced in a loud tone, "When Ragnar Lothbrok appears in Kattegat, he will be put in chains."

Just then, Earl Haraldson stood up and walked toward Floki. "Tell Ragnar Lothbrok I accept his challenge," He suddenly stated, causing Floki to turn and exchange a smile with Tova before he was dragged away.

_____

A few days passed before Ragnar arrived. When he did, he walked down the docks and into Kattegat with his family. He pushed through the crowd before stopping.

He turned, smiling as he watched Tova running toward him. She rushed into his arms and Ragnar grunted at first due to his wounds, but immediately began to hug her back. "Tova. It is good to see you again."

From afar, Siggy and Thyra watched on, noticing how she gave more affection to Ragnar than she ever did with them.

"You're still wounded," She realized as she pulled away from the hug, staring up at him in concern.

"Don't look so worried," He assured her before he was forced to limp away and make his way over to Earl Haraldson.

As Earl Haraldson arrived, Ragnar turned and exchanged a look with Tova. He nodded at her, noticing how she was forced to stand with Siggy and Thri instead of with Lagertha, Gyda, and Bjorn as she wanted to.