35

SPOILS OF WAR
— 35. Will of the Gods

  It was morning time and Tova walked through the battle camp, a hand pressed against her right thigh as she tried to hide her agonizing pain

She glanced around to find most of the warriors looking miserable, angry that they were running out of food and that they still had found no glory.

She sighed, feeling uneasy about the whole ordeal. People would surely not take their loss lightly. They would never look at Ragnar the same way.

Since they were waiting until dark to attack again, Tova had the entire day to do as she pleased. She made her way to Bjorn's tent and walked in.

He was lying on his cot, still recovering from the injuries he had suffered from their last attack on Paris.

She walked toward him and Bjorn turned to her, smiling slightly. "We are attacking again tonight," She informed him in a calm tone, "And I will be leading the attack with Lagertha and Rollo."

"A pity I could not join," Bjorn admitted, smiling back at her, "Though is it wise for you to fight, given your own injury?" He asked, gesturing down to her leg.

Tova's eyes widened in alarm and retracted her hand from being placed against her aching leg. She turned away, avoiding eye contact with Bjorn. "I'm fine," She quickly told him, "There is nothing wrong with your leg."

"Tova, during the attack, you could barely walk through the water and climb up the tower," He reminded her, and Tova couldn't help but sigh in defeat.

"It's nothing I can't handle," She assured him as she walked closer to Bjorn and knelt in front of him, "I've been dealing with it for years now," She paused, noticing how worried Bjorn looked when she said she had been experiencing the pain for years, "I don't tell people this, but I never fully recovered from Wessex. While I can still walk, I limp, and being on my feet for too late brings me more pain than you could ever imagine."

"Then why do you fight?" Bjorn asked, a puzzled look on his face, "If it brings you pain, why do it?"

"Because it also brings me pleasure. It makes me happy, it makes me feel good," She informed him, her lips curling upwards into a smirk, "The same can be said about sex."

"Sex pains you?" Bjorn frowned in concern, "Do I...Do I hurt you?"

"No, but as you know, I like to be on top and sometimes I must use the muscles in your legs," She confessed, smiling while Bjorn looked concerned, "And while it might bring pain sometimes, the pleasure makes me forget about it."

"You have an odd way of thinking," Bjorn commented, smiling as he grabbed her hand and held it, "But it makes me love you even more."

Tova didn't respond to Bjorn's words. She moved even closer to him, running her hand down his chest. "Does this hurt?" She asked and while Bjorn grunted slightly, he shook his head, "Don't lie."