Sherlock: I Still Get Jealous (Part 1)

Warning: Language!

~

Your phone's screen lit up from inside your purse and you scrambled to find it amidst your wallet, loose change, chapstick, and crumpled receipts. Retrieving it, you smiled as you read the message from him: Almost there.

Your stomach flipped around before finally settling down. Yes, you were nervous. You had not been on a date for sometime now, almost a year. Your last date was a trip to the movies, which was nice until the man you went with got up during the most intense scene of the film, dumped out the tub of popcorn you were eating, and forcibly shoved the tub on the man's head in the row in front of you. He then proceeded to tackle the man to the ground and yell "WHERE IS THE KEY TO THE SAFE?" Thankfully Scotland Yard made an appearance shortly after and you were cleared to go home.

Long story short, the man did not actually want to take you on a date, he just wanted to follow a drug lord that was taking an extended visit in London. And yes, the man who took you was Sherlock Holmes. You two had been dating for only 9 months or so. No, that date to the movies was not the reason you split up. You had actually enjoyed it to be completely honest. The breakup was mutual: you needed more affection and Sherlock needed less. Had you been falling quite hard for him? Yes. Were you disappointed when he was the one to bring it up? Yes. But you had agreed to his point: We need different things.

What "different thing" he needed, you weren't sure. You had not been mad when every date you went on turned into a bloodlust chase for a criminal. He made sure to never let you actually get hurt, though there were plenty of times a knife almost slit your throat, a man almost kidnapped you, or a bullet whizzed past your head. You liked the adventure with him. At the end of the night, you could always count on a kiss to your forehead and a "you did well tonight. But please refrain from crying when someone points a gun at you though—there really is no time for dramatics."

Did you love him? You had not gotten that far or had enough time to decide. Right now, you loved him as your friend. That was enough. Because you also believed he loved you too, in some weird, emotionless, unconditional kind of way. Even though you two weren't together, you still got to go on cases after your day job, so really, the adventure was still there.

And now, a new adventure was to begin. Dating. It had taken some poking and prodding from your friends. But even John encouraged you, saying that if anything, Sherlock might experience some sort of happiness for you. This was what you both wanted, wasn't it? 11 months was enough time to start dating again. So when your friend set you up with a man named Keith, who worked as a vet at a local animal hospital, you said why the hell not.

So that's why tonight, as you pulled up to a fancy restaurant in London that you had never heard of, wearing a dress you never thought you would see yourself in (black really was a sexy color on you), you smiled. The taxi pulled in front, and there stood the man named Keith, whom you had only seen in pictures. His beard was trimmed close to his face, brunette hair combed neatly to the side, and sporting a blue button up with a black sports coat over it, and matching black pants. He was handsome, there was no doubt about that.

You stepped out of the taxi, and as he spotted you, ran over helped you out, making sure to close the door behind you. "(Y/n), I'm assuming?" he asked with quizzical eyes. "I mean I hope so, otherwise I just helped the wrong woman out a taxi."

With the breath hitched in your throat, you barely choked out "yes, that's me. Keith?" you asked. He nodded his head with turned up lips and led you to the restaurant doors, opening them and letting you go in first.

Truth be told, beards really weren't your type, but hey, he held open doors for you, so you thought you would give it a shot.

~