Ameline. (38)

By then, I am already beyond the threshold. They watch me leave, no longer their jurisdiction or their problem.

The undercourt has no rules, I did say so. 

The vials are handed over to the thing on the street corner.

He is much in the same position as he was ten minutes ago, before havoc broke loose. In the corner of my eye I see the staff of Lady Branáns house mill about the property, looking lost in the face of their undoubtable dismissal. She deserves better staff, anyway. Perhaps I would apply.

The redcap already has saturated himself in the blood, and compliments me on my choice. I disregard this strange courtesy and try to head off with the skewer before the dirty nails of the redcap slice, intentionally, through the skin of my forearm.

"Give me the skewer, witch." With a grimace, I hand it over. The cuts from his nails are only skin deep, but he got enough under his nails that he sucks the rest off as I walk away. "Come back soon!" He yells, gargling the words.

I had only noticed when I was round the next corner and heading towards the loosely renowned entertainment sector of the undercourt before I realise he had called me a witch.

Word spreads fast, I suppose?

But wasn't Melanie the witch? She rose into my mind, unbidden, and I stopped myself quickly of pitying her. Of regretting leaving her, like I left my son in Fowey. That was simply not my problem.

Tierneys shop was seconds away now, and I took the time to school my features into dismissal. I didn't have the makeup skills he did of transformation, but a good old scowl can be just as scary. I practised whipping my dress as I walked before I arrived.

Though the door opened as quiet and spa-like as ever, I made a fuss of goading Oliver to get him to start barking.

Dogs were common in the ælfin world, but still weren't allowed into most shops. Especially spa-like ones.

Busting out, Tierney had already started making a fuss over the noise before he rounded the corner of the tunnel.

"Dogs are most definitely not allowed inside this store! You must leave—" he stopped short, as expected.

I waited in the doorway, arms crossed. Oliver ran up to him and openly jumped up his legs to get attention. Tierney didn't move. I didn't move. Olivers tail wagged.

"Hello, dear friend."

"I am surprised you should bother show your face here." He snapped, arms crossing to mirror my own.

"Mind me, you're the one far up every princes arse."

"You're the one who left me for a prince."

"You bribed me into going in the first place."

"You didn't invite me."

"You were frolicking with Prince Maddox all night!"

There was a pause, from both of us. Oliver kept trying to crawl up Tierney's legs, finally getting a tickle behind the ears from Tierney.

Then, we both burst out laughing.

"I have missed you so much, you absolute traitor!" I shrilled, wrapping my arms around his middle. I did not worry that id damage his white hoodie and jogger set, as I had hardly any makeup left on my face.

"I was waiting for you to come here, I planned my whole expression and everything in the mirrors!"

We gossiped for a bit about this and that, he noticed the dress and complimented my choice. He was not surprised I had stolen it, it only meant more business for him once Branán realised it was gone, and she returned to procure another outfit.