1 || ouch my wrist hurts must be my soulmate

// author's note: this is pretty much unedited (although I tried to make sure it makes sense and isn't super boring lol), so please don't judge. I might end up posting a new, revised version if I end up finishing it (which I hopefully will). feel free to leave nice constructive criticism or just comment about what you think! please vote if you like it so I will be more encouraged to make more!! xx james //

Harry's POV - July 31, 1998

Harry woke up to a stinging sensation on his left wrist. 

"Ah, shit," he whispered. Ron groaned in his sleep in the bed on the other side of the room. 

Harry, at first, wasn't sure why his wrist was stinging - well, now it was burning - but then he remembered. This was the day he turned 18. This was the day he found out who his soulmate was. 

He sat up and rubbed his eyes. Taking a deep breath, he looked at his wrist.

It was blurry. Disgruntled, Harry grabbed his glasses off the beside table and shoved them onto his face. Taking a deep breath for a second time, he looked at his wrist again.

What. In. Bloody. Hell. he thought. He took off his glasses again, squinted at them, determined nothing was wrong and put them back on.

The name hadn't changed. It was still stinging, too. Harry thought that could mean it would change. Because surely, this name wasn't correct. It couldn't be.

"Hey, Hermione?" he said loudly, looking up. She was curled up with Ron. She grunted in response, then said, "Harry. It's 6 in the morning, you couldn't wait?"

"No, er - once the name is on your wrist, for your soulmate, it can... it can change, right? At least on the first day?"

"No, not unless your soulmate dies. Why are you ask- Oh right! Harry, it's your birthday! Who is it?" Hermione suddenly looked more alert, and she pushed herself up on her arm to look at Harry in curiosity.

"Er- I don't know. No one I know, I mean. I'd just... rather it be someone I know. You know? Yeah," Harry lied. He hoped Hermione couldn't see his flushed cheeks in the early gray light.

"Oh. Yeah, I suppose." Hermione said. "What's their name?"

"Uh - Linda. Linda... Lichen."

"Hmm. Don't know her either. But, Harry, I'm going back to sleep. We can start to try to find her in the morning." Hermione settled back against Ron, and closed her eyes.

Harry was jealous. It was easy for them. They were already dating by the time Ron got his name on his birthday, which means Hermione got her name on the same day. When they both woke up to their wrists stinging, they were ecstatic.

He didn't know how the heck his soulmate could be Draco Malfoy.

Draco's POV - July 31, 1998

Draco was pacing around his room at 3 a.m. on the morning of the day he knew his soulmate. Except, it couldn't be his soulmate. That could never happen. The one thing he wanted to happen, it couldn't happen. Harry Potter despised him. And besides, his parents would disown him if they knew that his soulmate was a bloke, let alone the man that was their sworn enemy before the Dark Lord was defeated. By that sworn enemy.

Fortunately, they would never know he even had gotten his soulmate unless he told them. That was the beauty of the name being melded on using his soulmate's magical signature - only himself and his soulmate (freaking Harry Potter) could see it. But they might make him go through with that arranged marriage with Pansy Parkinson. They didn't care that she was lesbian.

And they didn't know he was gay.

Generally, he was just in a really shit situation. So he did the only thing he could think to do. 

"Why the fuck would you Floo me at 3 am in the fucking morning!" Pansy said, anger in her drooping eyes as she dropped to the ground in front of her room's fireplace.

"I got my soulmate," Draco said nervously. Pansy's mouth hung open.

"You did? Who is he? Do you know him? What's he like? Should we try and find him? When did this happen, Draco, you should have Flooed me right away!"

"I- it happened tonight. And its- promise not to laugh."

"I would never," Pansy said with mock sincerity.

"It's Potter."

Pansy screamed in delight. "Oh my GOD Draco that's AMAZING!"

"Pansy! Shh! My parents will hear! And no, it's not fucking amazing, it's horrible!"

"Why would it be horrible, Draco, you've liked him since you first saw him!" Pansy exclaimed.

'What- no I haven't, I-"

"Wonderful Pottah, with his scar and his broomstick? You have been "Pottah, Pottah, Pottah" your ENTIRE LIFE."

"Shut up! I have not! And anyway," Draco said, cutting off Pansy's attempts to continue teasing him, "it's awful because he hates me. I've been a dick to him my whole life because he was all 'I can tell the wrong sort for myself, thanks' in first year! And now we're soulmates. Of all things that could happen!"

"So, what, you just want to ignore your one chance of getting with the man you've been pining over your entire life?!"

Draco was silent as he pouted. "Well... no."

"See! I'm a genius," Pansy said with a smirk that could rival Draco's usual expression.

"I- okay. Thanks, Pans." Draco rubbed his eyes and sighed. "Well. I guess that's all. Thanks."

"You're very welcome," Pansy said graciously. "Now, I'm going to bed." That part was not so gracious.

She closed the Floo.

Draco sat back and examined his wrist. There was no doubt that the words said "Harry James Potter." He supposed he should be excited, but he was really just confused.

Potter would never agree to start anything with him. He would probably just ignore the fact that Weaslette couldn't be his soulmate and date her instead.

Man, Draco thought, this school year is going to be reaaaally awkward.

---

// thanks so much for reading!! If you liked it, please vote, it would mean a lot to me. Ily!! ~ James //