Chapter 2: Pictures

Winston Williams always knew he was different. He never really felt any attraction towards girls. The concept of the romance movies showcasing a over-the-top make out between a man and a woman was lost on him. Even when he started middle school and the innocent romances began, the kinds the parents loved to fawn over, he didn't understand why. Girls were nice, but boys were cute. He learned the word gay when he was about nine years old, and it stuck with him ever since. It was just a part of him. Some people are gay and some people aren't and that was that. He never saw it as an issue and luckily, neither did his parents.

To be honest, it's not like they'd pay it any attention anyway. He'd learned a long time ago that when parents called something interesting, it means they couldn't care less. Most things in Winston's life were labeled interesting.

The following day, Winston spotted Monty in the cafeteria. As he entered the room, he grimaced at the scent of microwaved mystery meats and flavorless substances that were called food. Monty appeared to be lost in whatever drawing he was working on. It was almost like nobody else was in the room, just him and his sketchbook.

He was sitting alone, so Winston saw no issues in taking the empty seat.

"Hey, still working on your drawing?" he inquired.

Monty jumped, pulling the ear buds out quickly.

"Yeah, I'm almost finished. Just got to add the finishing touches and I'm done." he explained.

"Looks great. Can I join you?" Winston proposed.

Monty quirked an eyebrow, biting his lip before nodding.

"Sure." he responded.

Both of them had already gotten their lunch. While Winston ate his sandwich, Monty's food went almost untouched. Every now and again he would pick up a cheeto from the bag, but his focus was almost solely on the drawing. Winston felt his thoughts drifting as he watched the meticulous strokes of the pencil across the page.

"What's your next class?" he asked.

"Oh, I have geometry next." Monty answered, making eye contact as he finally glanced up from his work.

Geometry was one of the advanced math classes offered in the middle school. The majority of eight graders took algebra and started geometry in high school, but Monty had been accepted into the advanced program. It was easy to tell that he was intelligent. He spoke articulately when spoken to and rarely missed an assignment due date. He would get good grades but never told anyone. His father was never one for academic success. So long as he was being masculine and staying out of the way, his father couldn't care less how he did in school.

His mother spent the majority of the day at work and when she finally returned home, exhausted and ready to go to sleep, his grades weren't exactly high on her list of priorities.

"I have a yearbook next, it's one of my electives." Winston remarked, breaking the steady stream of silence between the two.

Monty looked up at him. "You're a photographer?"

Winston nodded and pulled out his Nikon camera from his backpack. Monty was instantly fascinated with it. His eyes seemed to analyze it as he stared at it.

"Aren't you hungry?" Winston wondered aloud.

"Not really." Monty shrugged.

This time it was Winston's turn to raise an eyebrow. He smiled mischievously, jumping up from the bench.

"Follow me." Winston instructed.

Monty seemed confused at first, but quickly packed his things and followed him. Together, they snuck out of the cafeteria and out to building one, home to the library, administration office, and the yearbook room. Winston untucked the badge from his shirt, scanning it to unlock the door. As the door swung open, Monty was immediately in awe.

The yearbook room was rather small, but it was organized. Monty crept into the room, trying his best to stay silent as to not alert the administrators to their presence. He circled around the room, picking up different objects and studying them in his hands while Winston explained the different functions and uses.

"And that's pretty much it." he concluded as Monty sat the telephoto lense back down.

"I've always wanted to take a picture with a camera, you know, to draw." Monty divulged quitely.

Winston frowned slightly. The way he said it made it seem like it was one of his deepest, darkest secrets. The kind of things people would only admit to during a sleepover at three in the morning. He followed Monty as the other boy moved towards the table filled with cameras.

"It's not hard once you learn," Winston suggested.

Monty turned around, eyes wide as he spoke.

"Can you teach me?" he pleaded.

"Okay, sure." Winston chuckled.

He moved toward the table where Monty was standing. Clearing his throat, he placed his camera in Monty's hands. Standing behind the other boy and reaching from under his arms, he held his hands over Monty's.

"So you want to make sure you're holding it right, or else the picture will be blurry." he began.

Monty nodded, sticking his tongue out in concentration. Winston would have laughed if not for fear of ruining the moment.

"Like this?" he asked.

Winston nodded, clicking the settings button and proceeding to explain all the details and features of the camera. Monty would nod along, doing as Winston instructed.

Once they'd finished, Monty turned around. They were suddenly face to face and extremely close together. Winston stepped back, feeling himself blush as Monty did the same.

"So...can I maybe practice on you?" Monty hesitated.

Winston snorted, a smile widening as Monty held up the camera.

"You know what, go for it. I think you did pretty well in the crash course." he chortled.

Monty looked down, smiling as he laughed. It was a high yet airy tone, similar to a soft giggle. Their eyes locked, staring into each other's eyes for a second before Monty looked away again. He pushed his bangs out of his eyes, holding the camera up and pointing it at Winston. The other boy smiled, unsure of what pose he should do. He settled for holding onto his backpack strap, looking slightly past the camera to give the picture more of an authentic and natural look. The camera clicked, flash going off before he let his hands rest at his sides.

"Let's see it." he insisted, holding his hands out.

Monty passed him the camera, blush darkening under his freckles as Winston opened the image preview.

"It's probably not that great-" he began before Winston cut him off.

"Wow, this turned out pretty well. Especially for your first try." Winston commented.

Monty seemed surprised, raising his eyebrows as his side-swept bangs fell back into his left eye. He quickly pushed them out of the way, smiling nervously.

"You really think so?" he murmured.

"Definitely." Winston assured him.

He tilted his head, observing the other boy with a smile. Monty acted like he'd never been completed before, but surely that must be incorrect. He was intelligent and had an amazing eye for art, not to mention a beautiful smile. Monty was sweet and quiet. His hair looked soft and Winston had to restrain himself from just sweeping his bangs back himself. There was something about him that made Winston want to smile too.