11

"Your portfolio is impressive as usual Jieun," Ms Song said as she looked over the girl's drawings. "I love how adventurous this art style of yours is,"

"Thank you," Jieun smiled, ducking her head shyly. Having done a few more drawings, she wanted to show her art teacher how much she had improved. She had already been accepted to an art college, but practicing wouldn't hurt. Jieun headed out of the room, bowing to her teacher and turning around to bump into a figure. "Oh, Yuli-ah. I'm sorry. I didn't see where I was going,"

"It's alright," the girl said, bending down to help her pick up the papers that had scattered across the floor. "Wow, your drawings are so pretty," Jieun smiled at her.

"Thanks Yuli,"

"It's good to see that you're out of your...," she paused, choosing the words carefully. "Slump," Jieun winced, remembering that, after Sujin passed away, she didn't go anywhere near paintings or drawings. It had just been too difficult to try to do art without Sujin messaging her about her drawings or cheering her on. It didn't help that she'd been so stressed from her studies.

"It took some time," Jieun said. "But Myungjoon helped me," Yuli gave her a teasing nudge.

"Myungjoon, huh?" Jieun blushed, looking down at the floor. Myungjoon was amazing to say the least. Sure, he had his impulsive moments, but he always tried his best to make her happy and complimented her drawings even though he had barely any art knowledge. "I'm glad he makes you happy," Yuli said, standing up. "I've got to go, but let's catch up soon, okay? I miss you," Jieun nodded, smiling at the girl as she left.

She missed her too.

˗ˏ𖥸ˎ˗

Chaewon shivered as she looked out at the water in front of her. Her class had walked to the nearby glade to have some fun while gathering specimens for their project, and she was the only one to stay away from the lake. The deep, murky water brought back bad memories, and she made sure to stay away, crossing her legs and sitting primly as she looked at a book in front of her.

"Chaewon!" Luna ran up to her, smiling. "What are you sitting here and reading a book for in such lovely weather? Let's go play in the lake. Ms Jaerin said we were allowed to," the older woman was watching her students mess about with a smile, nodding as something Yuli was telling her.

"No thanks Luna. I'm fine-" she yelped when the girl paid no heed to her protests, calling over Myungjoon to help her push Chaewon into the lake. The girl panicked as soon as she was sent sprawling into the water, gasping as memories flashed through her mind. Her fear of lakes started when her friend Yuna had attempted to drown her years ago, and now, being surrounded by water that came past her waist, the feelings resurfaced and she splashed around frantically. She could hear a yell, before she felt someone tug her out of the lake. She looked up Jinho, tears falling down her cheeks as she attempted to breathe. The usual poise and grace she carried herself with disappeared under the fear and dreadful memories flowing through her mind, and she held onto Jinho tightly, hiccuping as she cried. Jaerin rushed over, pulling off her jacket and wrapping it around her.

"Chaewon, come on, breathe," the older woman patted her back, pulling her hand away in shock when she saw how strongly the girl was shivering. She had never seen Chaewon like this, and she'd been the girl's teacher for years now.

"Hey, Cally, it's okay," her brother said soothingly. "Yuna's not here, it's just me. You're far away from the water, far, far away," Jinho let Eunwoo take her before turning to Luna and Myungjoon, the look in his eyes steely and furious as he shoved Myungjoon back.

"Are you two fucking mental?" he hissed, and their surrounding classmates exchanged wary glances. Jinho never swore.

"We didn't know she'd be afraid of the lake!" Luna tried to defend herself.

"Of all the stupid things you've done, this takes the cake. I would've expected more from you two, but it was idiotic of me to expect you two with your lack of brains to do anything useful," he spat out, and Myungjoon winced, feeling the guilt hit him. 

"Chaewon will be fine. You're just too overprotective-" Luna stepped back when Jinho loomed over her, looking frightening as he clenched his hands by his side. He raised his hands but controlled himself, breathing in deeply. 

"You're lucky that I have a control over my temper, otherwise, I don't know what I'd do to you," he turned around and walked back to Chaewon, body still tense with anger. Luna let put a breath she didn't know she was holding. 

"I never expected Jinho to be so scary,"

"Can you blame him?" Chanhyuk asked, making an appearance next to them. "Chaewon is the only one he really cares about, and you almost hurt her," 

"I didn't mean to, and anyways, it's her fault for not telling us,"

"More like your fault for not listening to her protesting against you," Myungjoon snapped. "Open your eyes Luna. Stop blaming others for what's wrong with you. It's seriously pathetic," 

˗ˏ𖥸ˎ˗

"Jinho-ah!" a light, bubbly laughter filled the air, and he turned around, smiling as Sujin ran towards him, dragging Chaewon behind her.

"What are you two up to?"

"We wanted to see you off! You're having that big debate at SBS aren't you?" she questioned.

"Yeah. You'll take care of Chaewon, won't you? Make sure she won't feel too lonely?"

"Yah, are you asking Sujin to baby sit me?" Chaewon asked.

"Of course not. I just don't want to be friendless,"

"I have friends!"

"Name one,"

"Eunwoo,"

"Besides Eunwoo?" she opened her mouth to reply but shut it, pouting as Jinho and Sujin laughed at her. The boy turned to leave, blinking when a hand grasped onto his.

"Jinho-ah," a voice, croaked and full of pain. He turned around, shrinking away when Sujin looked at him, a gaping wound in her stomach, tears falling down her cheeks. "Help me Jinho," she whimpered, face ashen and grey.

"Sujin? Sujin!" he sat up with a gasp, heart racing. Jinho looked around, calming down as he realized he was in his room and that Sujin was nowhere near him.

"Jinho-ah?" he flinched at the call of his name, looking up slowly, sighing in relief when he saw Chaewon there instead, the girl looking sleepy as she peeked into his room. "Are you okay? I could hear you scream,"

"It's okay Wonnie. It was just a nightmare," the girl stood up straight.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"No thank you. You should go to sleep Chaewon. It's late," nodding reluctantly, she left, shutting his bedroom door behind her. He let out a breath he didn't know he was holding, glancing at his bedside table and picking up a photo frame. The picture depicted him and his friends smiling in a class photo, Sujin's grin the widest of them all as she posed next to Jinho and Eunwoo, one arm wrapped tightly around Keni. "I'm sorry Sujin,"