The Easy Part (Jim Kirk)

Prompt: "That's the easy part."

Summary: Reader is one of the best engineers on the Enterprise and has been dating Captain Jim Kirk for a while now. A training simulation leads to a bet between the two of them to see who can do the other person's job better.

Day two of Fictober on Tumblr!

****************

"Mr. Spock, what are we reading?"

"Anomaly in the readings, Captain. Particle emissions evident for a ship, but we aren't reading one on any of our instruments."

"Mr. Chekov? Mr. Sulu? How about the two of you?"

"I'm not seeing anything, Captain," said Sulu. I spared a quick glance up at him, then turned back to my readings. Jim would be asking what I had any minute, and I wanted to be ready.

"I'm not getting anything here either, Keptin."

"Alright... Y/N?"

I shook my head, hoping something would change in the few seconds that took. Nothing did.

"I've got nothing. If I had to take a guess, I'd say someone has cloaking tech."

Jim nodded thoughtfully, turning his attention back to the viewscreen. We'd been dating for almost a year, but neither of us ever let it affect our work.

"Alright. Well, get everything ready up here and in engineering for a quick jump to warp speed. We need to be prepared for whatever this is."

I nodded once, then started tapping away at my screen. Less than a few seconds later, I was almost knocked out of my seat as something hit us, hard.

"Red alert!" yelled Jim. "Weapons at the ready, lock on to the chemical emissions signature to target! Lieutenant Uhura, try hailing them!"

"Aye Captain!" was echoed around the bridge as we all set to work. It would have looked like chaos to anyone on the outside, but we were a well-oiled machine. We were at our best when everything around us went crazy, and we had a million things to do at once.

"Uhura, any response to our attempts to hail them?"

"Nothing yet, sir."

"Chekov, have you estimated their position?"

"As well as I can sir."

"Good, then fire. Y/N, be ready to get us out of here on my mark."

"Aye sir."

I glanced up at the view screen for a few seconds to see a few explosions lighting up the darkness of space, but I quickly refocused on my work. I didn't have time for distractions.

"Photon torpedo headed straight for the bridge!"

"Shit!" yelled Jim, and then we were rocked straight out of our chairs by the simulated blast. The instruments and the viewscreen went dark, and we were all left sitting on the floor of the training room.

"Good try Captain," said Sulu.

"We'll fire earlier next time," said Jim, clearly making notes in his head. "And start trying to hail them as soon as we get signs of a ship in the area."

A few crew members clapped Jim on the shoulder as we all stood and they headed back to their duty stations. I stayed in the simulation room with Jim, walking towards him with a smile as he put his hands on his hips and sighed.

"Jim, I love you, but that was a pretty bad show," I said with a teasing smile. "I probably could've done better."

He scoffed. "Ha. I love you Y/N, but you definitely couldn't have done better than me. You're in engineering, you have no idea how much harder the command track is."