21 - lyla is so confused

Maria had dragged Lyla out on an impromptu lunch date. To one of their favourite cafés from when they first arrived in New York, both loved the rooftop seating, but for different reasons. Lyla loved the wind and the calming environment, Maria adored the decorations and setting along with a year-round hot chocolate.

The curly-haired girl saw her private time alone with her best friend as the perfect opportunity to drill Lyla with questions about Luke. Lyla rarely ever went into detail about Luke, she always brushed it off and, said that she and Luke don't have much of a relationship to talk about. And, without the constant interruption and restriction that the boys bring in.

"Okay," Maria spoke, placing her cup on the table. "Let's play a game," she suggested, crossing one leg over the other as she leaned forward.

Lyla knew where this conversation was going, they sat in silence for a few minutes before Maria chose to speak up, as per usual Lyla was sitting in her seat incorrectly. One of her legs pulled into her chest while the other was uncomfortably trying to keep itself from sliding off the plastic of the chair. She sighed, resting her head on her knee, "Mm, what does this game involve?" Lyla asked.

"I like to call it...uh, back and forth," Maria explained. It was a dumb excuse for a game, Lyla has told her everything she has wanted to know. However, Maria knew that pieces were missing and she was determined to find them. "It's where we go back and forth and talk about our lives."

"You know Maria," Lyla said, "if you wanted to ask me about Luke, you could have just asked." A small smile found itself on her lips, Maria always found a way to take the hard way around things, trying her best to be oblivious with the playful look in her eyes.

"Okay fine," she said, "I'm asking you about Luke because you never talk about him." Maria added, "And don't you dare say shit about how there is nothing to talk about."

Lyla sighed, rolling her head back. She's told Maria everything about Luke– everything but her feelings. Lyla hasn't even figured that out herself yet – other than that, all the details have been shared. "Maria, I've told you everything." Lyla stated, "What else could you possibly want to know?"

Maria's ears perked up at the question, this was her chance, Lyla was willing to get asked any question. "I want to know how you feel," Maria said, "I want to know how you feel when you're with him."

"You ask me like I know," Lyla laughed, "Maria I don't know how I feel when I'm with Luke." She moaned, "I don't even know the guy for Christ's sake." It wasn't a lie; Lyla didn't exactly know Luke. They've only properly talked once or twice before, Luke is still a stranger, a stranger who she's cuddled with.

"Yes, but you like him." Maria said, "And you're still wearing his jacket, you haven't taken it off since Sunday." The girl found it hard to not smile, her best friend liked someone, too bad that Lyla's too blinded by denial to see it.

"I can't like him," Lyla said, "I don't know the guy." She repeated, "He's pretty eyes, absolutely beautiful, brings me to tears. Look, I'm just saying that it's too soon for me to... come to a conclusion."

"Figure it out quicker!" Maria scolded, "You're seeing him, tomorrow right?"

"Yeah," Lyla responded much too calmly for what she was feeling on the inside. Lyla hadn't stopped thinking about her plans with Luke tomorrow, counting down the minutes and constantly checking the time for when she'd get to see the blond fighter again. It's the only thing she's been looking forward too.

Maria scoffed, shocked with how calm and nonchalant the girl was being, "Yeah?" She repeated, trying her best to keep her calm. "Lyla! If you like this boy, tomorrow is the chance to figure it all out!"