chapter 2

Spring Break Begins

Friday
March 22

Gabriela's POV

I pull up to Ramon C Cortines Grand Arts High School to pick up Ivy. I lean back in my seat, scrolling through my Spotify playlist. "Bye Ivy" a few girls say, as she opens the car door. "Bye" she waves taking a seat. She leans her head back and sighs, "I'm all pepped out" she says as I drive off. "I know what you need" I say smiling as I play "let's go" by Trick Daddy.

"🎶Once the Hennessy's into me the whole industry is my enemy. If you ain't no ten to me or a friend to me, bitch don't pretend to be. I'm strictly for the thugs, I'm part of the streets and straight out the hood... I'm straight out the county of Dade, played on fire homie M-I-A!🎶"

Ivy and I sing along, feeling the bass thump against our legs from my speaker.

Narrative: You're probably wondering why Ivy isn't in school with the Core 4. Fair question. I wanted her safe. Nobody is going to roll up on her here like they've done in the past. Keeping Ivy and Cesar in the same school is a liability. Truth be told, I want her around a more ambitious environment. No offense to the Core 4, they're so bright. But unlike me that joined the Santos for love, Ivy loves the lifestyle. So I'm trying to keep her away from it, but it feels the harder I try the more involved she gets.

 So I'm trying to keep her away from it, but it feels the harder I try the more involved she gets

I pull up the drive way, and put the car in park. I glance at Ivy that's deep in text. She runs her long nails through her midnight blue hair. I shift in my seat and face her, "you know you don't have to be preppy, you can be yourself and those Art school girls will embrace you" I say motherly.

"Gaby, these girls say "like" and "OMG" every 5 minutes. Not oh my god literally O-M-G" she says rolling her eyes. I laugh. "Those aren't the only girls in that whole school Ivy, find a crowd that's more you" "I did and they go to Freeridge High" I sigh and roll my eyes, "don't start".

"Please Gaby, I promise I'll be safe," "you can't guarantee that" "I'll strap up" "If you stay in this school, you wouldn't need to strap up" "But I-" "I said No!" I yell slamming my hand against the arm rest. She crosses her arms, pouting, plopping back into the seat. "You can't keep me hidden forever Gaby" "I'm not hiding you Ivy, I'm protecting you. There's a difference" "I wouldn't need you to protect me if I'm surrounded by the Santos" she huffs.

Ivy grabs her bag and storms out the car slamming the door behind her. Did this little shit just slam my door? I exhale sharply scratching my forehead.