Chapter 5

“This woman is not picking up. It’s like she wants to be mad.”

Fikayo was vibrating in anger, shaking both legs. It was Monday evening already but the client from Friday was yet to send her money. Fire was seating beside her in bed and crossed her legs, her feet tucked beneath her thighs. She remained silent as she watched her sister fume. Few moments later, Fikayo was on her feet pacing the width of Fire’s room, her face scrunched up.

“Fikayo, calm down. Maybe she’s somewhere she cannot pick the call in. Why not send a text message? And then we’ll wait and see how it goes. Okay?” came her sister’s soft voice.

“Ah I’ve done mistake o,” she hissed, halting her movement. She faced Fire hands akimbo, tapping her right foot on the ground incessantly.

“I can’t let go of eight thousand naira. Eight K!” she exclaimed, leaning towards her sister.

“Calm down,” Fire said. “Even if you can’t get the money from her, I’ll give it to you. Don’t worry.”

“Don’t tell me not to worry,” she snapped, turning her face to the side.

“Then stop stomping your foot on the ground, biko. This anger solves nothing. Thank God you know the lady’s house, although I’ll advise you go when you’ve cooled down if not you might just get beaten up. You don’t know the kind of person she is. Ehn, she could be a werey o, like you said. I won’t clean your wounds when they beat you black and blue.”

“You’re not helping,” Fikayo cried out in a loud voice.

A smile graced Fire’s face as she shifted on the bed.
“Fiks, you might want to keep your voice down unless of course you want to invite mummy into the matter. “
Fire let out a laugh at her sister’s deepened frown. She rose and walked to her, then pulled her into a hug. Fikayo’s arms hung idly at her sides as she stubbornly refused to hug her back.

Fire chuckled and rubbed her back, cradling her head on her shoulder.
“Sorry, mama. I’ll give you the money if you can’t get it back.”

Fikayo drew back from the embrace, nodding in a child like manner.

Fire held unto her hand. “Look, as a business woman, you have to have tough skin. Things like this are bound to happen especially in this line of business. You’re dealing with all kinds of women. Brace up for things like this and probably worse. You’ve learnt your lesson, that’s what is important.” She shrugged and continued.

“Smile, Fiks, I love you,” Fire declared and Fikayo felt the urge to cry. Her eyes began to water. She wanted to open up to her sister but didn’t know how to or if she should. Her sister drew her in again, patting her back before withdrawing to wipe her tears away with both her thumbs.

Tell her, Just tell her, she implored herself.
“Umm Fire, I...Uh when,” she hesitated. Settling back at the edge of the bed, she avoided her sister’s gaze.

“What’s up?” She could hear the concern in her voice but couldn’t bring herself to open her mouth, as though it had been taped. She shook her head dumbly.

“Fikayo, you know you can tell me anything. Absolutely anything. What’s on your mind?” Fire probed but she didn’t budge.

“Fikayo, talk to me, there’s something wrong!”

“I’m good, Fire,” she said in a low voice, standing. “I want to get something to eat. A snack or any umm anything Iono.”

She left quickly, afraid she would blurt it out. She was afraid of keeping it to herself and dealing with it alone forever. She was also afraid of letting it out. She was too afraid.