Stormy Days

Storm's adoption backstory

Post Chapter 4 - New Beginnings

Los Angeles - ~1991

There was a knock at the door early one evening. Tommy was reading the papers, standing in the kitchen as Nikki worked on the books for his club.

"Who could that be?" Nikki asked, pushing his glasses down his nose as though he could see through to the front door. Whoever it was, they were persistent with the doorbell being rung at the same time as the pounding.

"Dunno...but I'll get it," Tommy said. "You need to get those books sorted for the accountant," he reminded Nikki on his way past, ruffling his hair.

"I know, I know...," he grumbled, his bad mood only assuaged by the sight of his lover in the tightest pair of pants he owned, accentuating his slim hips and ass, not to mention his sizable dick clearly outlined in the soft denim.

"Tommy!" Nikki heard Athena's anguished cry from the front of the house.

"Athena! What are you doing here?" Tommy asked. "What's wrong? Why are you crying? Is it mom and dad?" Nikki could hear the panic in Tommy's voice so he went to investigate.

He found brother and sister holding each other in an embrace as Athena sobbed, with the door wide open. Nikki shivered slightly at the cool breeze and closed the door.

"Tommy?" Nikki queried but only received a shrug in response.

"Bring her inside, babe," Nikki said. "I'll make some coffee."

Nikki walked back into the living room a short while later with a cup of coffee, heavily laced with some Jack Daniels. "Did you drive here, kiddo?" he asked Tommy's sister as he thrust the cup into her hands.

Athena nodded and took a sip, wrinkling her nose at the taste. She was sitting on the sofa beside Tommy, who was rubbing his hand soothingly across her back.

"You'll be staying here tonight, after drinking that," Nikki said, watching her take a healthy swallow of the hot liquid.

"'Thena...tell us what's happened," Tommy coaxed his sister. "Maybe we can help."

Athena took another gulp of her coffee before looking up at her brother.

"Nobody can," she forced out. "It's Kimberley...she's..." her voice faltered again.

~*~

Kimberley was Athena's best friend. The two girls met when they attended the same middle school and, despite being almost total opposites, struck up an unlikely friendship. Whereas Athena was bubbly and outgoing Kim was rather shy and reserved, but somehow their different personalities complement each other. They had graduated from high school together and although they took different career routes they had remained lifelong friends and confidants.

While they were at different universities and post-study, without Athena's constant companionship, Kim had retreated into her shell. She had her own tiny apartment and was comfortable and safe, but rather lonely.

Then, two years previously, Kim's life had seemingly changed for the better when she met Dan. He worked in the banking sector and owned a house in the next suburb over from West Covina. The two had quickly become friends and lovers before Dan had proposed on Christmas day. A few months later Kim gave up her apartment and moved in with Dan.

Kim had thought her world was perfect...until things simply fell apart one day.

Dan started coming home late from work and at first, Kim had believed his excuses, but as time went on she found it harder and harder. When she finally confronted him, Dan lost his temper and threw Kim across the room, leaving her in shock and pain before storming from the house, slamming the door behind him. In a panic, Kim phoned the only person she knew would help her.