Chapter 28: For His Life (Junjie)

Honestly, writing a SlugTerra fanfic at 4:59 in the freaking morning isn't normal for me, but hey, it's all for joining the Wattys Awards. Besides, I can't sleep, so I better make the most out of my time.

Master Lian and I are now on our way to the hideout but sometime after we made the jump through the portal, a letter was delivered saying we shouldn't go to the hideout but instead to the hospital at TechnoScience Cavern. So we did. I was hoping he would be okay, that this sickness of his wasn't too serious. The only problem is that the universe loves to prove me wrong and always gives me what I hated most. It's a part of life. My Master told me that "life doesn't always give you what you want, for you to learn to accept it."

I can't help but wonder, How in SlugTerra am I supposed to accept the fact that my friend is dying? That's literally the worst nightmare you could ever have. But I have no choice now. I have to accept this. I have to. Even if it means losing Eli and having to let go of him soon. But then my thoughts battled while I was on the road. Come on, dude! At least you have two Infurnuses! But I would decide to have only one if it means having Eli still alive. Oh, stop it already and let go. He wasn't meant to live anyway. What?! No, no way I'm going to let go of him! He's too precious for me. Not even a million Infurnuses could make up for me losing him! I'd rather die with him than suffer alone!

Well, guess what? I nearly crashed! I would've if Master Lian warned me to watch where I was going. Ironically, we were on the border of the cavern when that happened. I shook it off and headed straight to the hospital.

When I saw him hooked on life support, I had no words. I was so sad to see him look this. I myself never experienced anything like this. This was the first time I was forced to watch somebody die a painful and agonising death. I had to go outside to my Mecha-Beast to cry. But everyone would notice, so I struggled to hold back the tears while worrying about him.

That night, one thing I said while on my way here shook me to my bones.

I'd rather die with him than suffer alone!

Was I really willing to? How would my Master feel? Who would protect the caverns in my absence? Who would take in Joo-Joo? How would Eli feel if I gave my life just for him to live? How would he feel if he woke up, completely recovered, ready to celebrate but ends up grieving because he lost me again?

To sum it up, a lot of questions were running around my head. So maybe death was just optional at the time. But, sadly, not for Eli. Death was the only way to end his suffering. The doctors said, if he recovers, he can be released within a month. If he dies here in the hospital, that's another matter. But if he wakes up and looks like he's on the road to recovery when things go downhill again, we might need to put him down.

What did they just freaking say?!

I calmly asked again to see if my ears were kidding around. They weren't. He was going to be put to death (I never wanted to say sleep but put to death sounds a lot more like a legal execution like hanging or something rather than euthanasia) I had to keep my cool to prevent myself from losing it. But it's already too late. I had lost myself. While the others went to get lunch with my Master, I was left alone with Eli, although the thought of lunch made my stomach growl with hunger.

But I didn't regret it. All I wanted was to be with him, to watch him in his sleep, to protect him from any danger coming his way if he was left alone. And that was when I wept for him. I didn't see what in the world happened next. I didn't look up. I didn't check if the others had returned. I didn't see what time is it. I didn't hear anyone calling me.

I didn't even feel the loving touch on my hand.

And when I did, it was weakly squeezing my hand. Can it be?

It is! It's impossible but-it is!

Eli Shane...is alive!

And I published it at 6:27 in the morning.