Shin Soukoku: Between him and a Shelf

Yosano fipped the book to the next chapter.

Upon seeing who the chapter is centered on, Higuchi tensed up.

It showed Atsushi and Akutagawa sitting together in a library, reading books intently.

However, the two groups could clearly see that the two men were not at all reading, but staring at each other under the guise of reading novels.

Lucy huffed in disdain, already feeling the jealousy bubbling up.

"Hey, Ryuunosuke?" Atsushi called once he deemed the staring too much. "How is your novel going?"

Upon a closer look, Akutagawa was reading a book entitled 'Rashoumon'. Written by him, apparently.

Atsushi's book also contained his name on the bottom of the book. Its title was 'Beast Beneath the Moonlight'.

"So the books they were reading were entitled with the names of their abiliies? And they were the ones who wrote it?" Kunikida raised an eyebrow. "How did the book even know the names of their abilities? This is certainly the first time they've seen the book.."

"The book would adjust the story acording to the people inside, of course." Ranpo explained, twirling a lollipop in his mouth.

Kunikida hummed in thought. "Alright."

"Fair. It is selling pretty well." Akutagawa replied. "Yours?"

Atsushi nodded. "Also selling well."

An awkward silence enveloped them after that.

Atsushi seemed to have something on his mind, which Akutagawa noticed.

"Something wrong, jinko?" Akutagawa raised an nonexistent eyebrow.

Atsushi tensed before hesitantly replying. "It's just.....Can I tell you something? In private?"

"It won't be private if we're watching." Kenji commented. "Should we turn around so they can have privacy?"

"No, they might do some stuff if we're not looking." Kunikida replied, lacing his hands together.

"Like what, Kuniki~da?" Yosano smirked.

"You know what I mean, Yosano-sensei." Kunikida snapped.

"Okay, okay. Geez." Yosano raised her hands in defeat.

Lucy hummed in worry and jealousy at what the Agency members implied.

The pictures cut to Atsushi and Akutagawa behind shelves, front, back, and sides. With a small hole in the bottom corner of one of the bookshelves that did not house books.

"Okay, Atsushi." Akutagawa crossed his arms. "We're alone. So what do you want to say?"

Atsushi squirmed a bit in his place, looking nervous.

He seemed to be giving himself a pep-talk, because a few moments later,he lifted his head abruptly, looking determined.

"Ryuunosuke! I mean- Akutagawa!" Atsushi called before switching to his friend's surname. "I- These days- I'm sorry if you get offended but I needed to get this out!" Atsushi stuttered before deciding on a sentence. "These days, I've been seeing you as more than a friend, and I don't want to break what is already between us, but I like you! As more than a friend!"

Yosano whistled in appreciation. "Nice confession, I'll give him that."

Lucy had tensed with anger and jealousy, wanting to be Akutagawa at that moment.

Higuchi had hunched forward, chanting 'Please reject him.' like a mantra. Tachihara shot her a questioning look as he shifted away from the blonde.

"Wha-" Akutagawa began before yelping as Atsushi trapped him between his arms. "J-Jinko?!"

"K-Kabedon?!" Yosano squealed. "Go Atsushi!"

Tachihara whistled in respect for the weretiger, he didn't truly expect for him to pull that stunt off. Especially on the Rabid Dog.

Gin had raised her knife in alarm, while Kyouka leapt to slam the knife down, as she feared that the quiet assassin would do what Kouyou did and would try to slash the book in fury. She didn't want to see more of that.

Suddenly, the book vanished.

"Huh?" The two organizations blinked dumbly.

The book then reappeared, closed, only Lucy's hand.

She then proceeded to place a lighter underneath, lighting a small flame.

"W-Wait! Don't!" Kunikida scrambled to swipe the book.

"I'm burning this book." Lucy deadpanned. "Those four can find their way back on their own."

"Calm down, guild girl." Ranpo placated. "I'm a genius detective and I can guarantee that there is no other way out."

"Nothing?" Lucy growled.

"Nothing other than this." Ranpo raised his hands.

Lucy hesitated for a moment, before she sighed in defeat and handed the book to Ranpo.

"Fine." She grumbled.

"You can always go back to your room if you don't want to see.." Kunikida told her.

"Nah, I'd rather see this so I can hold it over the tabby cat." Lucy flipped her braid before sitting back down.

"Dang, We lost progress again......" Yosano hung her head. "Alright!" She jumped up. "Any person who will lash out or disrupt our progress, please go back to your rooms!" She announced.

No one moved.

"Really?" Yosano deadpanned. "Kouyou? Gin? Kyouka? Lucy? Anyone?"

"Why are I name-dropped?" Gin asked.

"Because I saw you raise that knife of yours, that's why." Yosano replied.

"Before this starts a fight, let's start the next chapter, okay?" Tanizaki interjected.

"Fine." Yosano backed down, Gin following.

Tanizaki sighed in relief. "Okay Ranpo-san. You can turn the page now."

"Yeah, yeah, I know." Ranpo told him before he flipped to the next page.