~2~

Ever since the first day of school, Sal and Ruby have been stealing glances at one another during class unknowingly to each other. Ruby did muster up the courage to talk to him outside of class sometimes in the hallway but, their conversation would be interrupted by their peers telling her to stay away from him because he's a freak. Each time she was dragged away by one of her many "friends" she would give a sorrowful smile. He wouldn't see her again until lunch but, she was so popular amongst their peers she could barely keep up with her surroundings. They would never talk at lunch but they would steal glances at one another every once in a while from across the room. 

Unfortunately one of Ruby's friends caught her eyeing the sapphire haired boy with matching eyes down with a tiny smile playing at her lips. Once again she was lectured about how she shouldn't be friends or even try to get close to Sallyface. Ruby always nodded not actually paying attention to a word they would say about him. She didn't like how they were going based on his appearance as to why they didn't like him. So what if he was a little different, and besides he seems...sweet. she thought making herself become a blushing mess in front of Travis.

 Travis was your stereotypical meathead "jock" that did nothing but try to bully Sal and his friends. Rose hated the way Travis treated Sal, she even pleaded that he leave him alone. The tan-skinned blonde-haired bully would listen to her once in a while because he was smitten for her and knew she was just trying to be nice to the little dweeb and his freak ugly friends. So of course when Travis saw this timid flaming hair goddess with flushed cheeks, he figured he finally made a breakthrough with one of his many pick-up lines. Sally saw this from afar, having a weird feeling in his chest turned away listening to his friends bicker and laugh. Sal thought she was actually falling for that blockhead's "charms".

The bell echoed throughout the school signaling lunch was over and the class was back in session. Rose began walking to her locker to grab her books for chemistry with Travis following her like a love-sick puppy. The entire time she was grabbing her books, the blonde was asking her could he walk to class. Rose finally snapping out her thoughts when Travis grabbed her books for her." You have chemistry with Mrs.Wyse right? Come on I'll carry your books for you." he said walking ahead of her 

Rose followed behind him quietly not gathering the courage to tell him that she could carry her own books and find her way to class. When Travis dropped her off at her class he gently kisses her cheek whispering "see you later babe." in her ear which caused her to blush from the sudden impact on her face. It didn't take her long to quickly sit next to Sal at the desk they shared together and throw her head into her arms laying her head down on the desk. Sal looked down at her unsurprised she was flustered by the kiss he witnessed. He wished he didn't witness it but he knew he didn't have a chance even if he wanted one. He was too hideous to loved by anyone, it was something he accepted a long time ago. Rose and Sal shared only two classes together out of eight. He would see her in the beginning, middle, and end of the day. Never really after school though because she was always surrounded by her "fans" I mean "friends" 

After a few minutes, the teacher came in announcing we will be doing a project of making something useful we could use in the midst of a thunderstorm. "Everything has to be handmade yourself. No Cheating! everyone must work with the person sitting next to them." she explained

Ruby could feel piercing baby blue peepers looking down at her and she meets his gaze instantly surprised by the sudden opportunity to get to know more about the boy behind the mask.

~Sal's POV~

"S-so, what do you think we should do our project on..?" I questioned looking down at her feeling a familiar warmth powder my cheeks behind the mask. I  couldn't believe how flustered I was acting towards a girl who might possibly be into Travis. Sal thought he felt himself becoming sick until she lifted her head and met him with the same smile she gives him any time he spoke. Rose's brows furrowed thinking deeply until she turns her body to me. "How about a homemade flashlight with some batteries, a switch, and conductors." she thought off the top of her head