Ch.8 - Memoriam

Downstairs Noiz and Clear cooked while wearing aprons. Noiz’s AllMate provided Noiz with a screen of the recipe he was doing, while Clear just winged it perfectly in every dish. Aoba sat at the sofa with Tori, now known as Huracan, and Beni. Huracan rested on Aoba’s shoulder while Beni sat in Aoba’s open hands.

“Oi kid, you remember my name, right?” Beni asked as he jumped up and down on Aoba’s hands. Aoba thought.

“…Jenny.” Aoba said. The quick tempered bird was about to lash out, but remember what Koujaku had explained to him, and instead took a deep breath.

“…Beni. It’s Beni.” Huracan hummed, much to Beni’s dismay. “Anything you’d like to say to me?”

“Oh it’s nothing.” Huracan said before returning to groom his feathers.

“Why you-!” Beni hissed, but quickly stopped once he saw Koujaku walk down the stairs, Mink and Ren following right behind.

“Ah you guys go ahead and take a seat. We’ll be done in a few more minutes!” Clear said smiling. Noiz merely mumbled a few curses under his breath as he tried to keep up with Clear’s cooking.

“The brat is cooking? Well this should be good!” Koujaku said, pulling up a seat on the table.

“Shut up, old man.” Noiz responded, which annoyed Koujaku back. Ren went ahead and started to spread out the table wear. Mink was about to take a seat when he paused, slightly turning back to see Aoba looking at him. They made eye contact, causing Aoba to avert his eyes.

“Oi, Aoba. What’s wrong?” Beni asked.

“Just…” Aoba mumbled, moving his hands to his hair and feeling it gently. Hurracan looked over at Aoba and then back at Mink.

“His hair?” Hurracan asked. Mink blinked and felt his hair slightly. Ah. The braids, beads and feathers. Before Aoba disappeared we was wearing his hair in the style of dreadlocks, afterwards he returned to style his hair in the traditional way of his people. Maybe Aoba was confused between the two instances of memory?

“…Do…you wish for me to do it to your hair?” Mink asked, Aoba perking up at the idea with a bit of gleam in his eyes. So he did like the decorations of his hair. “Well?”

Aoba stammered before speaking again. “Yes…please.” Aoba said. Mink rubbed the back of his head.

“Alright. Sit down, Aoba.” Mink said as he pulled up a chair for Aoba to sit in. Aoba stood up from the sofa and walked over to the chair, sitting down without much complaint. “We’ll first need to brush your-“ It didn’t take a second for the hair stylist in the room to intervene.

“I’ll do it!” Koujaku volunteered, causing Aoba to jump slightly in surprise. Koujaku pulled up his chair right behind Aoba, next to Mink, pulling out his comb from his kit. Ever so gently, he started to brush Aoba’s hair. He had always loved his hair. It was beautiful, silky, and its color was like no other. He’s always wanted to cut it, to give him a full on haircut of his choice, but the fact that his hair had nerves stopped him from such dreams. He was careful to not pull too hard, and if he found any knots he gently fixed them with his fingers before he continued to brush again. Aoba closed his eyes. It felt soothing. Koujaku had always been so kind in so many aspects. He has, hasn’t he?

“…It doesn’t hurt anymore.” Aoba said, having Koujaku pause for a moment. He blinked as Aoba turned to look at him. “It doesn’t hurt anymore. My hair.” Aoba looked back up front. “But thank you, for being you.” Those words made Koujaku’s entire body warm up.

“(Aoba…)” Koujaku could feel his emotions starting to get the better of him, to which Mink quickly took it a chance to shoo Koujaku off.

“Alright, my turn.” Mink said, pulling out a kit from his bag and settling it on the table. It had beads and feathers of all kinds and colors, along with other crafts materials. He didn’t waste any time as he started to decorate Aoba’s hair. The feathers and dream catches looked beautiful on him. Aoba seemed contempt as Mink worked on the small braids and twirling beads in between. Koujaku couldn’t keep his eyes off Aoba’s smile. “Done.” Mink said, offering Aoba a hand mirror. Aoba looked himself and his eyes gleamed with life and excitement, a smile shinning upon his features. It was enough to make everyone else in the room just stop and turn to look at Aoba smile.