Reputation

When Hiccup was but a boy he was faced with the most difficult decision he has ever had to make. Kill an innocent being as a means to fit in with his tribe or face banishment.

Hiccup couldn't see the glory in killing such a beautiful creature, especially one he had grown so attached to. So in the midst on the night under the cover of the winter snow, he left Berk on the back of his magnificent dragon.

That takes us to now. Hiccup hops from island to island under the name the 'dragon master'. Not very humble but accurate none the less. He spends his days helping the dragons whilst simultaneously decimating hunter bases. His reputation proceeds him, the bounties on his head are endless. Yet none has ever seen the famed mercenaries face.

Well none except a certain winter spirit who has taken quite a liking to said dragon master. Due to his unfortunate curse he cannot be seen by mortals, therefore feels he is privileged enough to look out for the rider. He likes to think of himself as Hiccup's guardian angle. Again, not very humble but accurate beyond belief.

❅❅❅

Jack soared across the sea of green, coating each leaf in a blanket of frost as he swept past. Wind whispered through the icy trees creating such a soft melody it could easily lull one to sleep. This island was the current residence of a certain dragon rider that has been plaguing the mind of the guardian for years.

Literally years. It annoyed Jack beyond belief. He often found himself scolding himself for falling in love with a mortal. Interaction between guardians and humans was forbidden anyway, not that Jack would stand a chance anyway. Being invisible makes it kind of impossible to make friends. He can't even touch a mortal thanks to the curse placed upon him. Not ideal circumstances for the guardian smitten by the dragon rider.

Speaking of, Jack stopped short as he heard a deafening cry coming from the blanket of green. He dove into the forest in search of the cause only to find something that made his heart near enough stop. Hiccup was curled into a ball, a huge gash ripped into his side. Toothless was unconscious, also with several cuts in his charcoal skin.

Jack cursed under his breath and scoured the trees for any signs of attackers. But they were long gone.

Jack rushed over to hiccup and began stitching together the wound on his side. All the while Hiccup slipped in and out of consciousness. Jack held his breath every time Hiccup opened his eyes, praying that he would see him. But there was never any indication the boy saw anything but forest.

Pushing his disappointment to the back of his mind, Jack set his mind on getting Hiccup to safety. No doubt the attackers will be back to finish the job. The spirit weaved a net out of frost and worked it under Hiccup, knowing he wouldn't be able to pick him up normally. Using all the strength he could muster, Jack hoisted the net of the ground and flew to the nearest settlement which had been abandoned for decades.

The occasional groan from the boy made Jack's stomach knot. He should have been there, watching over him as he always has. But no, the one time he decided to give his aching heart a break Hiccup goes and gets attacked.

Shadows of rotting buildings started to paint the forest floor as Jack got closer to the abandoned village. The only structures that still remained intact were a large well and a small hut glazed in frost. What? Jack had to stay somewhere during the summer months in which his talents were not of use. The spirit summoned a gust of wind that blew open a small hatch in the roof. With great caution Jack lowered the net into his home and proceeded to make Hiccup as comfortable as possible.