chapter three

chapter three, a dance with a detective

THE BALL WAS huge, in one of the larger estate homes of London it was set

THE BALL WAS huge, in one of the larger estate homes of London it was set. She knew the owners well from previous balls but the last time she had been there it had been covered in christmas decorations.

Her and Jane were waiting in line, whispering to each other about random things that passed their minds. But truly in the back of her mind, all Emilia could think about was finding the detective and getting her brother back home.

Worry of where he could be and if he was safe or not attacking her insides as if she were to faint.

She was then interrupted though by Jane passing their tickets to the announcer and in return given their dance cards from which men would write their names down to have a dance with them.

It was rather tedious effort as it was quite obviously rude to turn down a gentleman, her and Jane had been taught at young ages at their finishing school.

"Lady Jane Glastonbury of Longhall Estate and Lady Emilia Tewksbury of Basilwether Hall." The announcer called and few heads turned to watch the two ladies descend the stairs elegantly side by side.

"Oh I do hate this part." Emilia sighed, opening her fan to cover her lips from any unwanted lip-readers. "Far too many people looking."

"Oh, I love it." Jane replied with a small grin, "I feel like I could rip my dress and show off my undergarments and shock everyone to death." She giggled, after taking out her fan and also hiding her lips. Her words were followed by a quick gasp from Emilia, her eyes full of shock, trying to keep her laughter to as minimum as possible.

"You are so bad Jane Glastonbury."

"Oh you love it." Jane giggled as they came down to the end of the staircase, quickly being joined by the hostess of the ball. Lady Rowena, her large dress train following after her. "Good evening Rowena." Jane smiled politely, curtsying at the older woman, Emilia the sole image also.

"This looks just magnificent, Rowena. You've outdone yourself." Emilia spoke, even though she knew it was all the servants work she had been taught to always compliment the host/hostess of a ball.

"Oh thank you my dear, you both look absolutely stunning!" She replied, "If i'd have known you were here Emilia I would've sent out an invitation."

"No worries, I just arrived a few hours ago." She replied with a small smile, her eyes ghosting over the room as she looked for the inspector around the large hall.

"Now, there are refreshments in every room, a resting room just through that door." Rowena started, pointing her hand out towards different doors, "A ladies room just out that sways and another resting room through that door. I must get a dance down for my son for the two of you before you leave though!" She muttered quickly, looking around the hall.