chapter twelve

chapter twelve, masquerade (emilia's dress at the bottom of the chapter!!)

THE BALL HAD begun before the four had even arrived seeing as Jane could not pick between her earrings leaving Dorian to tease her relentlessly on the way towards the ball as they all sat in the carriage, Dorian and Jane sat beside and on the oppo...

THE BALL HAD begun before the four had even arrived seeing as Jane could not pick between her earrings leaving Dorian to tease her relentlessly on the way towards the ball as they all sat in the carriage, Dorian and Jane sat beside and on the opposite Emilia and Evan together. The masquerade ball was being held at Guildshar Hall by the Guildshar family, they had met the lady of the house at the picnic just that afternoon and she seemed extremely excited for it.

Jane was now boasting about the Guildshar Hall as they travelled, unable to contain her excitement, "Oh, I've been there before but it's absolutely beautiful, there's these big steps towards the ballroom which is absolutely massive, probably the biggest one I've seen. It could fit about a thousand people I bet." Jane's words was exciting everyone now in the carriage as she went on, "It's supposed to be the biggest ball of the year, everyone is going."

Emilia couldn't help but wonder if everyone was going, would Sherlock Holmes be one of them? Trying to distract herself and not get her hopes too high, she listened on into the conversation once again, smiling towards the other three.

They soon came to their destination and seemed to be the last arriving, Jane was rather annoyed at the fact they would not be getting announced, Dorian then reminding her that it was her fault they were late once again. She replied with a quick, "I needed to look good Dorian, something you deemed to waste no time on." before giving him a look up and down teasingly, him feigning hurt and clutching at his heart.

"I think Dorian looks exceptionally well tonight." Emilia replied, grinning over to Dorian who smiled at her before they all entered through the large doors and walking up the marble stairs that Jane had just described minutes ago in the carriage. Another door and down a hall, they finally entered through another door where music had been playing faintly from when they first arrived, people were dancing about, or standing/sitting on the sides talking to eachother and some leaving and entering through different doors, their drinks in hand.

"Dorian, come dance with me." Jane said eagerly, taking the man's hands and leading his way through the groups as the last song ended and a new one began, Emilia looked over to Evan with a questioning look which he nodded eagerly to, taking her hand in his and pulling her over to the dance floor. Placing one hand on his shoulder and the other joining his at their side, his other wand resting on her waist as the music began and they begun dancing.

The dance went on for quite a while, with many jumps and turns which Evan did effortlessly, "Did they teach you dancing at that boarding school you went to?" She asked as they turned together along with the others, him nodding his head in return before speaking.

"Yes, four days a week, every week. Exams at the end of the month." He replied, "It was exhausting." He then laughed, lifting her up once again as her hands now held onto his shoulders to keep her balance. "And you?"

"Dance lessons since I was three." She replied with a quick laugh as they then turned so her back was to him and facing the other partners, where she was met with a familiar face dancing with another woman, she held eye contact scared if she looked away he would all but disappear. A face that she may have not talked to for six months yet still filtered through almost every thought. Evan's hand was now on her waist again, the other lifting her other hand in a soft up and down movement as they swayed from step to step, Sherlock doing the exact same movements with the young lady he was with, even under the mask she could recognise that face, she wondered if he could realise her.

Who was that woman though? She was exceptionally pretty, and elegant as she moved from side to side. His lover perhaps? Or just a friend? Or someone he thought nice looking and asked for a dance?

She was then turned around back again and her back was now facing him, although his eyes were still watching her frame and the man she was dancing with, surprised to see her there in London.

She was now unfocused on Evan, every time they turned she would try and look for him, yet there was no luck. Had she merely dreamed of him? The song was soon ended, and she feared to look behind her but soon interrupted by Jane and Dorian who had just seen a chocolate fountain and had ushered them over, when she turned her head to check if it was all her imagination, she was met with no sight of him.

"They better have them marshmallows, I don't think I could eat any more fruit." She spoke, looking behind to the group as she marched onwards towards the side of the room where she guessed the chocolate fountain would be found.

"I do hope they have strawberries." Evan said, "We had them at my aunts under the chocolate fountain, exceptional."

"I agree with Jane, marshmallows are the way to my heart." Emilia spoke up as they came to a stop. "They do!" There were cheers from the three as Emilia, Jane and Dorian went for the sweet snack whereas Evan went for the strawberries.

"I'll never get bored of chocolate." Jane murmured, her mask still on seeing as she made one that would wrap around the back, Emilia holding her mask away from her face as she did not want to smudge her white one, feared she'd never be able to get it back to her original state.

A voice clearing behind distracted the four, causing them all to turn around. Sherlock Holmes stood there in his best suit and tie, a gold and black mask placed over his eyes. "Emilia."

"Sherlock." She replied, her heart racing as she realised in fact it was not a dream, Jane who noticed the tension with the three of them behind the two, dragged the two men away, Evan Faucett watching the two with a confused face before heading off also.

"I believe I owe you a dance." He smiled small, his lips together but his eyes holding amusement through the mask.

"I believe you do detective."

#reunited !! hehehhe