Apprentice

I watched as she tore the ground apart. Watched as she drowned hundreds of people. People of an underground city. The entire city was flooded by water that she controlled. I had explored that city just moments before. Moments before she guided me out. She was done with whatever business she had there. I assume it didn't go well, or perhaps there were to be no witnesses. No witnesses of any sort. Most of the children died—they couldn't swim— floating to the surface after the loss of life. She looked like she didn't care, a well practiced stoicism. I tried to take a good look at her, but could never get a clear image. Black. Her hair was black. Her eyes were...red? Golden? Maybe red because I saw a lot of red— maybe it was her outfit. Maybe I should've known who she was—not many have the power of telekinesis—but I thought nothing of her identity. I thought nothing about why I was with her in the first place.

~~~

I remembered; I was her apprentice of sorts. Was this a demonstration? A lesson? A job to be done? I couldn't remember. We left to eat before the huntsmen arrived. Despite her actions, she adored children— what she did before was a necessary evil, I think. I made sure one was safe, just to impress her, to make her approve of me. I held the child, one-armed as we scaled the escalator, made sure she was safe— there were no rails on this escalator, suprisingly— and my mentor did approve. We went to order breakfast. My pet had followed us— I hadn't noticed him at first— and he jumped across the table as we ordered. I knew she wouldn't care for him, animals didn't seem like her thing. Scared that she would harm him, I shot him a withering glare. He looked. He stopped. He sat. We ate in silence.