Chapter 42. Love Is Sadness

Note: Italic: Russian | Bold: English | Normal: Japanese

There are some italic words that aren't Russian, sometimes they are thoughts and written letters, etc.

---

With his arm crossed, Enji Todoroki tapped his finger in his left arm, glaring down at the young bluenette girl standing in front of him with her head hang low. Right after watching his son work with the kids, Umi Hirano had gathered her courage to have a talk with him privately. He didn't really want to go but she insisted that it is an important topic to discuss and so they both left their confused company. The bluenette had led him into an empty hallway, far away from anyone who could possibly pass by.

"What?" Enji asked in a hard tone, raising an eyebrow as he finally managed to process the words she had said "You wanted to cancel your engagement with Shouto?" the female nodded quietly, keeping her eyes down on the lilac-colored flooring.

The engagement between the heads of the Todoroki and Hirano family has been long discussed ever since Umi and Shouto were little kids. Since the families had been friends for years, Hikaru Hirano had proposed an engagement between his own daughter and Enji's son, convinced that the two families will greatly benefit from it. 

If Enji wanted to continue on with a strong bloodline for his family, Umi is the best candidate for Shouto. Not only just because of her quirk but the connection, power and intelligence that her family holds are too great to decline, and so he accepted the offer. It was when the two became young teens that a proper introduction was decided. The first day that they were introduced as engaged partners was the very day that the two grew distant with one another. Never did Shouto had expected that he will have to get engaged with his childhood friend.

Shouto was so against it that he had accidentally lashed out on Umi after the meeting. He didn't want it; he didn't want to end up in a fate that is similar to his mother's—caged into a prison she could not escape—and only led her to ruin.

The hatred that he holds towards his father had only fueled in the moment his father had introduced his childhood friend as his fiancée. He felt a group of shackles wrapped around him, and the door to his own freedom was completely locked away from his reach.

As two young children, they held no authority of cancelling the engagement. It was already decided, and the only thing left is for them to announce it publicly. Shouto had no hope for himself since that day.

Fire blazing around his hero suit and face, his height was enough to intimidate Umi, but she surprisingly managed to keep her legs straight and still "Did you discussed this with your father?"

Umi shakes his head, answering in a calm tone "No, I haven't but I will once I have your permission to cancel this. Knowing my father, he would not grant me the request of cancelling the engagement" especially that the Hirano family had been hoping to finally tighten their bonds to the family of strong and known heroes.

"And what makes you think that I will agree to your request?" the older male asked, unblinking.

Despite of the warmth surrounding the dull hallways, Umi felt her shoulders getting a bit colder but she ignored it and said "Your reason to be strong—You already know the answer to that question, Endeavor-san" Endeavor's brows slowly rise in surprise, almost burning the small female in his gaze while he tightens his holds in his crossed arms "You are fully aware of the mistakes that you have committed and not a simple apology would easily provide you with the family that you needed. There are a lot of things to consider, long steps to be taken so you could properly atone for your sins not just as a father, but also as a husband—"