Chapter 2 - The roommates

"Hi! Welcome to the academy!" A hyper woman holding a clipboard greeted me and my parents. "You are the first ones!"

"Early is on time and on time is late, as we always say, isn't that right, Blair?" I nod in silence as the woman laughs wholeheartedly.

"Well, I'm glad," she ticks a name off the long list she held in her arm with a vintage quill older than me if I am to be honest. "You must be Mr and Mrs Sadyste,"

"Faces should be well known in Eclipse, I'm sure," father straightens out his tailored suit jacket, his toothy grin reading more smug than a humble proud. I always hated when he did that...

"But please, call us Lucinda and Faustisse," mother gracefully gestures to her then father.

"Pleasure to meet'cha," her thick round glasses complimented her round face which glowed with enthusiasm, the floral skirt and pink blouse exuded joy; she definitely did not belong in Eclipse. "I'm Miss Casandra, just call me Cassie," she holds out her hand for me to take, which I was hesitant about because the last time I shook a strangers hand I got treated for poison ivy rashes.

"Nice to meet you," after mother's nudge I took her hand and shook it firmly.

"Well, I'll give you your key!" She walks behind the front desk and takes out a single key made of some sort of black metal. The ancient key looked as if it would snap if one was to hold it too tight; the ellipse handle and uneven grooves making the unique key shon as the dim lights reflected against it. The centre of the key had red leather with the room number stamped on it.

Everything in this academy had a dark academia theme despite the fact we were decades apart from that era. Taking the key in my hand I was led up the marble staircase with my parents trailing behind watching me like a hawk. Of course I felt a little bad for the helpers who carried my cases up the many stairs and down a few halls. Cassie opened one of the doors on the left at the end of the hall which revealed my residence.

"This is your dorm!" Though one thought only struck my mind at this moment: why were there four doors?

"Uhm... why are there four doors?" She laughs thinking my question was a joke but quickly caught on that it wasn't.

"Those are for your roommates, silly!"

"I'm sorry what?" The words didn't exactly register in my head. I thought I'd have my own dorm!

"Oh, don't worry they're single rooms, these three will just be your buddies for the next four years!" Her enthusiasm didn't help with the situation at all. I wanted my own space, no random people I'd have to be friends with or even tolerate! "See you at the welcome ceremony!" With a skip in her step, Cassie left the room without another word. My eyes grazed over the leather couches facing a Tv, in one corner a small kitchen fitted with a fridge and microwave; nothing too fancy.

"It seems we must go, isn't that right, Lucinda?" Father looked at his watch before clicking it shut and stuffing it in his pocket.

"You'd be right, Faustisse," she walks forward and kisses my cheek, an odd feeling that wasn't often felt. "Don't disappoint us,"

"You're a Sadyste, remember that," my father adds on before leaving with mother clutching his arm.

"Yeah..." the last of the helpers left and I was alone. Holding back the urge to scream the moment the thought of roommates reentered my mind, I took a box of the weapons mother and father had gifted me two years ago.

After inspecting every room and finding they were nearly all the same I chose the room on the far right; it did have an extra window after all. Disregarding the fact that I had to move each of my boxes and cases into the room, I found myself setting up easily. With sheets, pillows, and blankets all set on the bed, minimal pictures and trinkets around on shelves, I felt as though I may enjoy it here... that was until I heard the front door open.