Chapter 5 - Tainted with filth

Students crowded the halls, knowing not to dawdle as teachers watched each one like a hawk. Chatter rose up between each student of every age, from banter to discussion of classes they just attended. Older students stopped to converse with teachers that stood watch by their designated classroom.

"Damien, wait up!" My short legs scurried along the stone ground towards Damien who had turned around to figure out who had called him; the waving of my hand made it easy enough.

"Hello, Sadyste,"

"I have a first name," my grumble made him grin and reply as we both walked along the courtyard to cut though the crowd.

"I know, but evidently you hate being called by your last name, so... Sadyste it is,"

"I hate you,"

"Precisely," silence passed over as we both enjoyed the silence, heading for our next class. "I'll see you later, Sadyste,"

"Hopefully not," my sarcasm wasn't left unnoticed as he let out a chuckle and turned right towards his next class. Looking down the long hall and back to the piece of almost parchment like paper I held in my hand I realised I was in front of my next class.

~~~

"If I were to see my employee standing around and not doing her work, would I: a, let her be, b, threaten her to get back to work, or c, fire her," little to no hands raised none of which were mine.

"Yes, miss Mosman?"

"B, I myself wouldn't allow my employee to laze around,"

"Why not C?"

"Because there is a shortage of willing workers currently in Eclipse," Mr Stratcher circles the letter B and turns to the class with a full grin.

"Very good, In this class you will learn about power and assertion in this line of work, if you are incapable, the door is right there," the long wooden cane he held tapped against the oak door.

To describe this man, in every aspect, would take a while, so to sum it up, he looked like your stereotypical pimp; though of course minus the fur and extravagant glasses. The usual overly extra glasses were replaced with red tinted rectangle framed spectacles. Jewellery draped every inch of him which seemed to blind me at first sight; only his dull suit saving me from eye strain. He had faded blue hair which was slicked back like some kind of well groomed fashion model. "Now will someone tell me..." by then my brain faded out of focus and onto Vivian who sat beside me.

"That's Ellie Moseman," she sneers as her eyes narrowed at the smirking girl who answered every question with impeccable answers. "She's an absolute bitch,"

"I guessed,"

Her plaid and pleated skirt complimented the red blazer she wore, trimmed with golden chains along the sleeves and pockets; hair straightened and curled at the end into perfect loops; the silky platinum blonde locks rested on her shoulders leading down mid chest; a pearl head band holding it all back. The blood red shade that coated her lips made her pearly whites shine through like the sun reflecting off a mirror. To put it simply... she was a knock off Heather Chandler.

"She is the richest girl here, other than you," I scowl at the reminder of the place I stood and lean against my propped up palm. "I used to be buddies with her in Deviant, but thank god that stopped,"

"Miss Sadyste, Miss Northbri, is there anything you'd like to share with the class?" All heads, and I mean all heads, turned to face us both.

"No, sir,"

"Thought so... Miss Sadyste, can you tell me what the red light district is in Eclispe?" Shit. How the actual hell am I supposed to know that?! Oh, yes, sorry sir, let me just recite all the knowledge I'm meant to be learning. "You don't know?"

"No sir,"

He scoffs and turns to Vivian who looked both anxious and confident, a weird mixture. "How about you, Miss Northbri?"

"Revolten is the current red light district, but Vileo is a close second," she mumbles making Mr Stratcher grin.

"Very good, Miss Northbri," from the corner of my eye I see Ellie scowl with rage at Vivian who's eyes trailed down to her blank notebook. In an instant when I met eyes with the blonde I saw her grin widen with malicious intent which she failed to notice was plain as day.

~~~

"Sadyste!" Viv and I turned to face the shrilled voice straying nowhere away from that of a brat.

"Yeah?" My unsure voice seemed to fly over her head as she struts up holding her books.

"Ellie Moseman," her outstretched hand called for me to grasp it but my hesitancy didn't come unnoticed this time round. "Is there a problem?"

"She doesn't touch rats," Vivians quick input seemed to poke at the trigger that held Ellie together.

"I think she has the capability to make that decision herself... she shouldn't let slutty Northbri's rub off on her..." her manicured claws retract as she folded her arm after swishing her hair back. "And... you know, taint her status with filth," During this exchange I seemed to have learned more about Viv's and Ellie's former friendship. "So?" She lent her hand out again which this time I knew what to do.

"I am capable of making that decision myself," Vivian physically tensed as Ellie's eyes widened in joy. "And I'd just like to say thank you, but... no thank you," pushing down her hand and nudging Viv, I put on a bright smile. "I know not to make deals with snakes,"

"What?!" The bratty girl raised her hand, obviously about to take a swing at me... thank god Mr Stratcher came to the rescue.

"Ladies... is there a problem?"

"She-"

"She what, Miss Moseman?" Ellie physically struggled to find an excuse and instead stormed off. "Thought so... get to class," he gestures for Viv and I to walk to our next class. Lowering my head down, Viv let a smug grin grace her face as the footsteps faded further from us.

~~~

A/n: how is everything going? I hope it's going well!