[23] "Death on the other line"

JADE

It’s still a mystery how Yves could see into the future, the destined deaths if those around him. Nasabi niya sa’kin na dahil ‘yon sa isang family curse na naipasa from generation to generation. Unfortunately for him, he was next in line to inherit it, and there’s no way in knowing how he can make it stop.

Sa tingin ko, may dahilan sa likod ng abilidad nila, and it’s not only to curse him and his family. It’s about making a choice what they'd do about it.

Yves Morgan has to make a choice now. But knowing him, he chose to feign ignorance.

“So you’re just going to ignore the fact that two people are going to die any minute now?” tanong ko sa pataas na tono ng boses. Hindi ako makapaniwala sa gusto niyang mangyari.

Nakasunod ako sa kanya palabas ng diner, lakad-takbo na ang ginagawa ko dahil sa laki ng hakbang niya. 

“It’s beyond our reach, Jade,” naiinis na sagot niya. “And besides, why would I help strangers who chased me and my mother away from this town?”

“You always say that, but look at what where you were able to accomplish. You saved me, a stranger, and Jennie, who I think you also have a grudge on but you still saved her.”

“That was a mistake,” he argued. He twisted his body so he could turn and come walking back to me with a raised finger. “It was foolish of me to think I can help other people, and helping them would change what they think of me.”

Tumigil ako sa paglalakad dahil sa sinabi niya. Humakbang pa siya palapit sa’kin.

“I stayed in this fucking town to prove my father was innocent!” Bumaba taas ang kanyang dibdib dahil sa lalim ng paghinga niya. “But how can I do that when I don’t know where to fucking look, and how these idiots would believe me?”

Napalunok ako.

Naiintindihan ko na kung ano ang totoong rason ng pananatili niya dito sa Lost Valley.

He wanted to clear his name, especially his father’s. In order to do that, he felt he needed to change what the people think about him. Changing that would change the value of his words. At para magawa ‘yon, sinubukan niyang lutasin ang pagkamatay ni Payton kasama ako para may mapatunayan siya.

“It’s bullshit, Jade,” Yves laughed, running a hand through his hair. “After meeting with Naomi and finding out I’m going to die, it made me realize something. Is it worth losing my life for the people who hate me?”

Wala akong sinabi, at hinawakan na lamang ang dulo ng daliri ko.

“It’s not going to be worth it. Nakita mo naman reaksyon ng pota na ‘yon sa loob ng selda, di ba? Whatever I do, I’ll always be a Morgan who’s greedy, selfish, and a fucking murderer.”

Don’t say that, I wanted to say. Their deaths wasn’t your fault.

“Is that why you asked me if anything changed after I solved the murder at school?” tanong ko. “Kasi gusto mo ma-realize ko na walang magbabago.”

“Yes! It’s good that you finally get that in your head,” sabi niya, at tinuro ang ulo niya para bumigay ng punto. “What will I gain for helping these people? Nothing that would do me any good other than confirming I can save my own ass.”

Oo nga pala, nakumpirma niya na kaya niyang baguhin ang kapalaran, hindi para patuloy na tulungan ang iba kundi ang sarili niya.

“Sa huli, kakainin mo rin ang sinabi mo,” sabi ko sa kanya dahilan para pagsingkitan niya ako ng mata. “You did help me back there from the Lost Boys with pure intentions.”