Prologue

Hey, I'm Dara
No doubt I seem like an ordinary 19 year old, but that couldn't be further from the truth. My story began over 500 years ago in beautiful village in the South of England.

I was born on a warm summer's day in late August, 1492, in little cottage on the edge of a meadow, surrounded by forest. On the outside it seemed like any ordinary birth, but honestly I don't believe I was meant to exist in the first place.

My childhood was a very happy one, I grew up amongst nature with a few other kids my age in the village. As a child I loved to paint, I liked finding vibrant flowers to create new colours and filled the walls in our home with my drawings. I would spend my days building dens, catching fireflies and swimming in the river near my home.

My mother and I were always very close, she was my best friend. My father was never in the picture, but it never bothered me. She told me he wasn't a good guy, so I knew it was for the best.

It didn't stop me from wondering about him though. My mother alway said I looked like her, except for my eyes she would say how they belonged to my father. All I knew about him was that they met at a fancy celebration in Kent, and he was the most handsome man she'd ever seen.

In my early teens my life turned upside down. I was gathering fire wood one day as a man approached me, at the same time he drew his sword. I fought him off and ended up killing him, once a month I was reminded of the life I took that day as I transformed into a beast. You may ask how a 12 year old was able to fight off a full grown man, well I wasn't just a girl with a wolf gene but a witch and a powerful one at that.

After that day there were a few attempts on my life, it became a normality for me although I never understood the reason for it. My mother tried her best to protect me so we had to move around a lot in my late childhood, we ended up in an Italian town in Tuscany.

The truth is, the unbreakable bond I believed me and my mother to have was forever broken when I was 17. I made the mistake of telling my mother that I was expecting a baby, she murdered my child's father right in front of me out of anger, so I left her. She's been following around the world ever since.

Because you see as I said before I'm not a normal girl and neither is my mother, we're vampires. You may be confused as I've already told you that I was both witch and werewolf, but you see I'm actually all three, I'm a Tribrid.

Impossible you may say, well you see over the years I've learnt more about my father and his family. He was born to a werewolf bloodline although that part of him had been suppressed, he was turned into one of the worlds very first vampires called The Originals and his mother was a very powerful witch, hence me having the ability to practice magic.

My father never cared for my mother, he just needed her long enough to break the curse placed on him to become a true Hybrid, but I believe you already know that part of the story. Ironic right? She's been chasing me for the past five centuries and he's been chasing her. I don't believe he knows about me though.

Apart from all the bad that's happened in my life, there's been so much good. I've travelled to every country in the world. I've dabbled in many professions, mainly throughout the 20th century. Nurse in the 1910's, Physician in the 30's, Doctor, Journalist and Archaeologist in the 40's, Fashion Model in the 50's, Graduated Harvard as a Lawyer in the 70's, Worked for a Fashion Magazine in the late 90's and early 2000's. More recently I've been doing some teaching and recruitment work for my best friend's school.

As you've probably guessed who my parents are by now, my real name is not Dara Michaels, but Adaria Eliana Petrova-Mikaelson. It's just easier for me to not use my true name as both Petrova's and Mikaelson's are very well known and unliked families in the supernatural world. Yes, my parents are Katerina Petrova and Niklaus Mikaelson, but I try not to let it define me as I definitely don't think we're much alike. Maybe we are, but I like to believe I'm a somewhat decent person.

Anyway enough about the past and lets talk about the present. I've been lucky enough to call many places home, but I've only felt truly at home in two of them, one of them being a little town in Northern Virginia called Mystic Falls.

So let's get on with this part of my story, starting in early April 2010 when I finally returned home..