Chapter 1

a/n: okay, this is possibly very bad. I just had a very strong urge to write something, and so, here we are. this is a Linny fanfiction. hope you like it. please, please, please comment, with feedback, questions, or whatever. I will update whenever I can, so yeah. Cover art not made by me.

Ginny smiled, her orange hair swinging in the mirror. the war was far from over, but at least she looked good. Her sixth year was fast aproching, and it wasn't as though she was nervous, because she totally wasn't, despite the fact that Harry was probably going to abandon them all to go chasing Voldemort. At least he had promised to stay for Fleur and Bills wedding.

well, maybe she was worried, but only a little. She was standing in front of the cracked mirror, in the cramped bathroom of the burrow, attempting to aplly makeup, so that it didn't look like a bunch of blobs. obviously, she could have gotten Fleur's help, but she was absolutely annoying, so that was a no. she spun around a few times, trying to decide if she liked the way her dress floated around her ankles. She hated it, quite honestly, she decided, and flung open the door to the bathroom,  ready to face the world.

clomping down the stairs, she collided with Hermione, who was looking very pretty, with her hair done up in a bun, and a lavender dress so long, it was brushing the floor. "Sorry," Ginny said, steadying the older girl, as she wobbled, and nearly fell down the stairs.

"Its fine." Hermione replied. "I'm worried though.  we need to leave soon." she said, dropping her voice to a whisper. Ginny understood why. Her Mum had just started to climb the staircase, and had caught sight of the two teenagers. 

"Oh, hello dears." she called, her plump face breaking into a grin. "Hurry up, now, the ceremony is starting soon." Hermione startled, and nodded, rushing down the staircase. Ginny hurried after, her red hair bouncing down her back.

The wedding had been long, but at least it had been fun. she ran up to give Bill a hug, but was pushed back into a throng of people. Well, it could happen another time, she supposed. not everyone here lived with Bill.

She scanned the crowd, searching for a sign of any of her friends. Finally, she spotted Hermione, who was sitting in a chair, next to Ron, and Harry, who was disguised as a muggle whose hair George and Fred had stolen. pushing through a knot of giggling french cousins, Ginny managed to make it to the table, and flumped down into a gold chair, snagging a butterbeer from a passing tray. brushing a lock of hair out of her eyes, she glanced back at Hermione, only to see her being swept away by Viktor Krum, while Ron glared at their retreating backs.

"Oh,  stop it, Ronald. Its not like you own her!" Ginny felt herself snap, not particularly caring that Ron blushed a furious crimson. 

"I know I don't. I never said I did!" he said, still staring at Hermione. Ginny rolled her eyes, and turned back to the dance floor, which was mostly empty, except for Hermione and Krum, and a few other couples. Plus one lonely person, who was swaying to the music by themself, their yellow dress robes swirling around them.

Taking a sip from her butterbeer, Ginny squinted, and realised who it was. Luna Lovegood. Her ash blond hair was waving along her back like a banner, and her robes were, in fact a loud shade of egg yolk yellow. 

Luna was smiling to herself, almost as though she had her own inside joke. Ginny almost laughed at the way she moved, as though her only dance partner was the music. which, she supposed, it was. Luna was spinning slowly, and as she turned towards the side of the floor where Ginny, Ron, and Harry were sitting. Her silver grey eyes locked on Ginnys own brown ones, and it was like time stood still. until Luna, her arms still twirling, looked away, and the spell broke. It hadnt really been a spell, though, had it, Ginny thought, absentmindedly scratching a freckle on her wrist. 

"Hey, Gin?" Ginny started, Ron's voice jolting her.

"Yeah?" she replied, trying to cover a small flush of heat in her cheeks with a large scratch on her nose.

"Me and H- I mean Barny, were just talking about this school ye-"

Suddenly, a large silver lynx appeared in the middle of the dance floor.

Ginny let out a yelp, and readied her wand, as Kingsley Shacklebolt's voice poured out of the patronus.

and Harry and Ron bolted. Ginny let out a shaky gasp, and turned back, just as a hooded figure appeared at the edge of the tent. Ginny flourished her wand, and shot a stunning spell at them, dodging the return blast of yellow light. Adrenaline raced through her, as more people began to pop in among the crowd. Many other wizards drew their wands, but Ginny was ahead of them, pulse racing.

She didn't have a clue as too why Ron, Harry, and Hermione needed to go on a wild goose chase, but she did know that she trusted them enough to get them out of a crashed party, so they could go on said goose chase.

Rushing through the crowd, she spotted a  flash of Hermione's bushy hair, falling out of its bun. Quickly, she shot a spell at a death eater behind them, and had no time to enjoy the satisfaction when they toppled over, as she dodged a stunning spell that barely missed her ear. The stupid dress she was wearing was making it hard to run, but she managed to duck behind an overturned dessert table, as her brother and his friends disapparated with a snap. At least Harry wouldn't be dying today, she thought, smirking, and hearing the spells hammer at the golden table she was crouched behind.

"Hello Ginny."

Ginnys heart skipped, and she nearly jumped, as she saw Luna Lovegood sitting at the other end of the table, wand in hand, and a small smile on her face.

"Luna, hi. You nearly gave me a heart attack! Where's your Dad?" Ginny said, convincing herself that the small flush of red that colored her cheeks while Luna scooted nearer was from battle nerves.

Luna's smile faltered a bit. "I don't know. He said he was looking at gnomes in the garden, and he never came back. Maybe wrackspurts confused him." she replied, with out a hint of a joke in her eyes. Ginny nodded, not knowing what she was doing, but having one clear goal in mind.

"We need to find him!" she said, and, with a small burst of confidence, grabbed Luna by the hand, and stuck her head out from behind the table. the coast was pretty much clear, but there were a few people dueling fiercely. all the other battles seemed to have moved to the edge of her homes property, judging to the sounds coming from across the grassy fields that the wedding tent was set up on.

She dragged Luna out from the cover, and the two began to run, ducking as a death eater shot a stunning spell. they managed to make it to the other side of the tent without dying, which was great. 

Ginny was feeling rather winded when they finally made it to the burrows garden. it seemed rather quiet, but Ginny kept her wand ready, and felt Luna tense beside her. 

"Dad!" Luna exclaimed suddenly, and Ginny turned, spotting a rather harried looking man, with blond hair, and a dazed expression.

"Luna, Darling," the man said, and brushed past Ginny, sweeping Luna into a hug, which she gratefully returned. "I was worried. We need to go."

Luna nodded, her pale eyes wide. Despite being sixteen, Luna looked like a child, and Ginny found it rather cute. Luna's Dad grasped her fingers, and Luna, with a small wave to Ginny, disappeared with her father.

Ginny, not knowing what else to do, ran back towards the battle, which had died down. it seemed everyone from the order had gotten away, besides her family, and Fleurs family, plus a large handful of guests, which, she was grateful to see, all seemed to be there. The death eaters (and Ministry workers, Ginny realized, with a sick jolt of dread) were interrogating them, but no one seemed to be badly wounded. Then, with a crack, they disappeared, leaving the wedding guests, frightened and confused.

Ginny ran down to join them, trying not to think of her brother, Harry, and Hermione.

She was instead thinking of Luna, which was rather odd. pushing those thoughts away as well, she hugged her family, grateful, at least, that they were all right.

a/n: there we are. first chapter! I hoped you liked it, and I would love it if you left comments. :):)