MCPEW 022 MOVING ON

The sound of voices in the corridor outside woke me up. I forced myself to go back to sleep but the hustle and bustle outside my door made it impossible to do so. Most of the tenants are hardworking employees so it's not surprising that everyone is up at this hour.

I let go a deep sigh. My body wanted to just lie down on the bed with my eyes closed but with the noise outside, going back to sleep would be impossibly hard to do now.

I might as well get up now. Lazying on the bed would be no good.

With half-open eyelids, I glanced at the wall clock and saw that it was already past seven in the morning. The last sign of sleepiness escaped my body and I jerked up from the bed. It's Monday today! I still had to go to the morgue and prepare for my mom's funeral. Then I needed to go to the office afterwards.

Today will be a long day. I got up and made my bed, then I opened the window. Warm sunshine greeted my eyes; the gloomy weather was gone and the clear blue sky promised a beautiful day ahead.

I took a deep breath and momentarily closed my eyes, preparing myself for an exhausting day ahead. When I felt slightly better, I opened my eyes and decided to take a quick shower since I still had the difficult task of writing my resignation letter afterwards.

Grabbing a clean bath towel from my cabinet, I marched to the bathroom and took a quick shower. The freezing cold water awakened my still sleepy senses. Five minutes later, I emerged from the bathroom feeling refreshed and ready to start the day.

I changed into casual wear, and then brushed my straight black hair until there were no tangles left. While waiting for it to dry, I decided to finally start writing my resignation letter.

I sat down, ready to pour the words out on the paper. But when the tip of the pen touched the paper, a wave of sadness suddenly surged inside me. I let go of the pen, allowing it to roll on top of the table while I composed myself.

I had been working at the Elite Hotel since I was eighteen years old. It was difficult to say goodbye to the job I treasured for years.

At first, I started working at said hotel as a part-time housekeeping attendant to support my studies. But then my father fell ill during my last year of university, and I had to drop out of my Hotel and Management course due to financial problems. I decided to work full time to pay for my father's treatment so I became a full-time housekeeping attendant.

The same year I officially became a full-time employee, the Greysons' came and bought the hotel. That is when I got to meet Ace. He was tall, smart, and good-looking.

I fell in love with him at first glance. But unbelievably, it was not actually his looks I fell in love with, but his character. He was responsible and hardworking-exactly the traits I was looking for in a man.

To my surprise, Ace showed he was interested in me, almost a year after pursuing me, we actually got married. It was a whirlwind marriage that took everyone by surprise.

Sadly, after five years of marriage, my Cinderella romance came to an abrupt end.

Now that Ace and I are about to divorce, I needed to resign from the hotel he owned for my own peace of mind.

"Please Lord, give me enough strength to write this," I mumbled, reaching for the pen, and holding it firmly in my hand. I bit back the tears and started to write on the bond paper.

Firstly, I thanked my manager for giving me the opportunity to work at the hotel. It had been a roller-coaster experience and I would forever treasure it in my heart. I also took the opportunity to thank her for being good to me and treating me like a sister. In the second paragraph, I expressed my sincere apology for my swift and unexpected resignation. In the last part of the letter, I indicated that the reason for my untimely decision to resign was a private matter that I no longer wished to discuss the details of and that I hoped she would respect my decision.

I finished writing the letter teary-eyed knowing that the humble job I have will no longer be mine once I handed the resignation letter to my manager. Neatly, I folded the bond paper and slipped it inside an envelope, before sealing it.

The first hard task was done.

I checked the time on the wall clock one last time - I wasn't late yet to my appointment, but I would be soon if I didn't hurry. I quickly tied up my slightly wet hair and I put on my favorite heeled shoes, slipping my resignation letter and my room key inside my shoulder bag before leaving my room.

The beautiful sky welcomed my eyes when I stepped outside. The sky was clear and blue, and fluffy white clouds floated by. I found a moment of peace while watching them. I regretfully tore my gaze from the sky when a cab stopped right in front of me.

I climbed inside, telling the driver my destination as I settled in my seat.

The hustle and bustle of the streets kept my thoughts occupied during the short trip, and before I knew it, the cab skidded into a stop in front of the hospital building.

I paid the driver and then made a beeline straight for the hospital's payment counter to pay Mom's remaining hospital bills.

To my surprise, I didn't need to fork out a single cent. All the bills had already been settled by Ace!

I frowned. I didn't want to owe him money. Why did Ace not inform me about it?

With a frown on my face, I slowly made my way to the morgue.

A morgue assistant ushered me into a door after he inquired about the deceased person's name. We entered a cold, dimly lit room.

Then I saw the woman on the long rectangular table.

'Mom,' I whimpered.

I couldn't handle the pain anymore. I fell on my knees, broke down, and cried.