Java Ex

Twenty one years after Certified Baby

Felix pushed open the door to the coffee shop in the train station. He used it as his escape a lot when the house was unbearably quiet. In the evenings, home was a lively buzz, but by day - when everyone else was gone to work or school - it was a lonely shell of its full potential. Felix couldn't work very well in such a dull surrounding; the only solution was to leave the house in search of activity. The table where he often did his work was free. He'd set up his work station just as soon as he got himself a drink. His mind now contemplating his order, his sight settled on the barista. She was a pretty, light tan woman he had never seen before, despite coming in here frequently. He was already wondering where she came from, and was considering asking her if she was new when something else caught his eye - her name tag.

"Mari," he whispered to himself, and approached the counter. "Excuse me, miss, your shirt is caught on your name tag."

She glanced down at her chest. "Oh, sorry." She turned away from the counter a moment to straighten her shirt. "Thanks! Now, how may I help you?"

As she turned back around, her full name was illuminated on the bronze name tag. "Mariposa... what a pretty name." He gave her his order, and when she returned with it he commented, "For a moment I thought you had the same name as my mère."

"Really? What's her name?"

"Her name's Marinette." Looking around and determining there was no one waiting behind him, he continued, "By the way, I've never seen you here before. Did you just start? I know I would remember if I'd seen someone who looked like you before."

"No, I've worked here for two years, but I actually just traded for this shift. I'm here for college and my old schedule conflicted with the classes I had to take this year."

"Oh - but this is your shift now, so I'm sure we'll see each other again. It was a pleasure to meet you." Felix paid for his drink and walked over to his table. Even as he set up and got to work, a persistent, unfamiliar sensation tugged at his heart. Mariposa was someone special. Every few minutes he was drawn to look over at her again, and several of those times, he knew that she caught him. She didn't seem to mind and went right on with her work. As Felix packed up to leave, he realized that some guy his age at one of the other tables was glaring at him. It didn't bother him too much; even if the general public was getting better, there were always going to be those who looked down on him wherever he went. Then he recognized the guy, and it made even more sense. He'd gone to school with that guy. That was one of the boys who'd pushed around the butterfly children ever since elementary. No wonder he was glaring at Felix! He probably hadn't been too happy in the last few years since his prey escaped his claws. Felix waved cheekily to him and left.

--

Felix couldn't stop thinking about Mariposa. For the next week he had no reason to go to the coffee shop; either he would have to physically report to work for the day, or there would be someone else also working from home who would keep him company. Finally he could no longer stand it. Marinette was the only other one home that day - besides baby Hugo - so Felix brought his laptop into her sewing room to keep them both company. The three worked in companionable silence; Marinette at her sewing machine, Felix on his computer, and Hugo sucking his thumb, busily contemplating everything he knew about the world. Suddenly, Felix powered off his laptop and put it in its case.

"Going out?" Marinette asked him. The whole family knew Felix didn't typically pack up his laptop unless he was taking it outside the house.

"Yeah, just to the coffee shop. I - haven't seen any of the regulars all week. I want to see what they're up to."