Chapter 6 - Adult

Overdose - Chapter 6

-Alex-

"Hey, Alex! We're in here," My dad's voice rings from the kitchen as soon as I walk through the door. I groan internally. I'm not really in the mood to meet "the girlfriend", I just wanna go to my room and forget today ever happened.

With a defeated sigh, I slowly make my way into the kitchen. I am greeted by a feast on the table, a wide smile on my dad's face, and a woman with honey brown hair seated next to him. "Hello," I offer a slight smile. "Alex, this is Laura," My dad says with a smile that could brighten the night sky. I honestly don't care who she is. I'd rather eat dinner with my father and go to bed.

"Hi Alex, your dad has told me a lot about you!" She cheers before extending her hand out for me to shake. I stare at her hand for a moment before reaching out and giving it a firm shake. "Has he?" I ask jokingly. They both laugh as I take a seat across from her.

She's pretty but my mom is prettier. She has blue eyes, a small nose, and a mole on her right cheek. Her hair is perfectly curled and pinned behind her ears. She could just be trying to impress us. Her clothes are clean, and they fit her perfectly. I wonder how old she is. I wonder if she has any children of her own.

"So, your dad tells me you're good at drawing?" She asks, breaking the silence. Of course, he did. I bet he painted a perfect picture of a perfect son. "Mmh...I guess yeah, I kind of stopped a while ago," I press my lips together and look towards my dad. He knows that I haven't drawn anything in almost over a year, but I guess it was either telling her that I'm an artist or an addict. I get why he chose to tell her that I'm good at drawing.

He offers me an apologetic smile before placing a spoonful of mashed potatoes on my plate. "Would you ever want to go back to school...not a regular school but like an art school?" She asks calmly, bringing her fork up to her mouth. I would rather walk into traffic. "School isn't really my thing..." I answer dryly.

She smiles, "Well that's alright, there are plenty of great artists who didn't go to school."

She seems nice. That might be a complete facade. The way my dad stares at her reminds me how much I miss my mom. She wasn't affectionate but I liked having her around sometimes. She made my dad happy, and it's been a while since I saw him look like this. Maybe because his son is draining the life out of him.

"So, what do you do with all your free time, then? Since you're not in school," She asks, nodding to my dad after he hands her the gravy. I get high enough to make time feel insignificant. I also drink my liver to shit. "I have a job at the town center," I answer dryly. My dad suddenly finds the steak to be the most interesting thing in the room. I wouldn't want to look at me either.

They begin talking amongst themselves but all I can think about is the cocaine in my bag. I put a forkful of mashed potatoes in my mouth hoping to distract myself, but it fails. Today wasn't great. Why did I even agree to go anywhere with Nico? He's probably thinking that I'm insane. Would he be wrong?

Fuck. I use the back of my hand to wipe the sweat off my forehead. I begin absently tapping on the table which doesn't go unnoticed by Laura and my dad. Shit. "You okay, bud?" He asks, staring at my hand. Chill out, Alex. Just get through dinner.

I nod and attempt to give a reassuring smile. "You look pale sweetheart...are you sure-"

"I'm fine, Laura. I need to use the bathroom," I stand up quickly which causes the chair to make a loud scraping noise against the tile. I hear them mumble something to themselves as I grab my bag from the couch and head to the bathroom.