Satyabhama

Satyabhama, the daughter of Satrajit; the most beautiful maiden in the three worlds stood awestruck behind a curtain of vines staring as her brothers led Krishna, the newfound Yadava prince towards the Sun temple in her father's quarters. She had heard the rumours, but never imagined he would be this handsome! As he walked up the long hallway, she ran parallelly carefully concealing herself behind the twisted vines. She felt her heart skipping a beat every time he threw back his head, laughing at a rogue joke, or carelessly adjusted the crown on his head which stubbornly kept slipping down.

She had often found herself at the centre of showers of praise, as others raved upon her unparalleled beauty. Every man who visited her father, old or young, was usually left slack-jawed upon seeing her. They would bring her expensive gifts, dresses and jewellery from faraway lands, waiting hours for even a half-hearted smile. Her father was relentlessly badgered with a never-ending stream of suitors asking for her hand. Sometimes, they would even ambush Satyabhama in a garden or at the temples. Satyabhama would smile and turn all of them down. After all, her father had promised not to marry her off without her consent.

Usually, she enjoyed all the attention she received, yet after seeing Krishna she was bewildered. "Sakhe, devis and apsaras from the heavens must be lining up to have but a glimpse of him, and here I am, being so close but could not still fall at his feet! Oh, how wasteful must be my beauty for he did not even throw a careless glance at me, and admired only the wretched Syamantaka!" She cried, back in the privacy of her personal grove. Her maids gasped at her comments, "Satye, hush your voice! That what you call the wretched gem is the source of your father's pride! You have lost yourself in your pining, for you do not know anymore what is right and what is wrong!" They admonished her.

Satyabhama knew very well of the blessings of the magical gem. Her father had been a lowly accountant in Mathura during Kamsa's reign. Only after he had found this gem on a hunt of his, had their family found their fortune. Now, her father was the richest non-royal person in the kingdom, which earned him a place in the parliament as well! Still, she couldn't help but feel jealous of it. "I don't know how but I will marry him! By hook or by crook!" She announced, as she stormed off, throwing an invaluable necklace against the wall, which promptly broke, scattering hundreds of pearls across the floor.

---

"Krishna! Huh, that cowherd prat! I saw the greed in his eyes when he ogled at my gem! Give it to me for safeguarding. Safeguarding, my foot! I had refused him then and there! I'm telling you he is the one who stole it!" Satrajit shouted at Krishna, the next morning. The magical gem had gone missing the previous night. Satrajit had openly accused Krishna of stealing it when the latter had come to offer support for retrieving it.

Balarama, the elder prince, roared in anger. Krishna was holding Balarama back with all his strength it seemed. Gasping, Satyabhama retraced a few steps. How could he?! What had she heard the previous night then? Behind the heavy curtains at the entrance to her father's chambers? She looked at Krishna. He looked more hurt than angry. He was shaking his head, trying wordlessly to communicate his innocence.

Making up her mind, Satyabhama wiped her tears ran towards the main exit and waited behind an elephant-shaped bush. Soon Krishna and his brother stormed out. Thinking fast, she threw a flower in his direction. Stopping in his tracks, Krishna gestured for the rest of their party to move ahead while he approached the elephant. For a moment she almost turned on her heels, but steadied her feet and steeled her heart. Pulling him close behind a pillar, she whispered, "I don't know if this will help, but my father is lying. Please don't make me speak against him, I cannot stoop any lower." Krishna was staring at her silently. Gulping, she continued, "Yesterday night my father gave the Syamantaka to my Uncle Prasena."