Mitravinda

Mitravinda stared into the horizon of the city of Avanti. The colourful tents adorning the outskirts of the illustrious town gave her no joy today for they were but a reminder of her impending fate. Her swayamvar was to take place the next day. The tents were populated by her suitors from across the world. She felt a shiver running down her spine every time she thought of marrying any of them. How could she? Wasn't it a sin to surrender oneself to more than one man? How could she marry any of them when her heart already belonged to Krishna, the best among all men, and the Yadavas? Rukmini must have performed unparalleled penances for she was able to send a message to her Lord in just the nick of time! Her brothers were wary of the possibility now. She was effectively on house arrest since the announcement of her impending marriage was made.

She turned around puzzled, as the tinkling laugh of a familiar voice drew closer. She smiled for the first time in a long time as she saw the bright, smiling face of Subhadra, her Lord's sister and her cousin. "Well, well, if it isn't my least favourite cousin!" Teased Subhadra as the women embraced. Despite the initial surge of happiness, Mitravinda found herself unwilling to partake in normal sisterly banter. She smiled and politely nodded while Subhadra kept chattering about the highlights of her visit, seemingly unaware of her cousin's disinterest.

That afternoon, as the sun rose to the helm of the sky, and scorching sunlight ricocheted off the golden kalash at the tip of the temple of Sri Mahakaleswara, the girls retired to their chambers seeking the sweet midday nap. Soon, most of the women had fallen asleep. Even the kanchukis fanning the royal ladies were nodding off at intervals. Yet, sleep evaded the lotus eyes of Princess Mitravinda. Nervously, she kept repeating prayers under her breath beseeching the great Lord Mahakala.

Rolling over to her side, she found Subhadra wide awake and staring at her expectantly. "Dearest sister mine, do you have anything to say?" Mitravinda raised an eyebrow markedly, "Do you have nothing else to do but tease me all day?"

"Well, isn't it customary to tease the bride-to-be? I heard it's good for an auspicious marriage." Retorted Subhadra, "Last chance cousin, anything to say at all? I'm just putting it out there- the entire city of Mathura saw you practically fainting when my brother walked past you the last time you came to visit, you couldn't hide it even if you tried!" Mitravinda blushed bright red at the mention of that faux pas. Was it really that obvious?

"Well, I suppose it would have been nice if he were an option in the swayamvar, but both you and I know that's not happening." She said with a sad smile.

"In fact, I am really surprised my brothers let you come here in the first place!"

Subhadra smiled mysteriously, "So, you would choose him if he were an option, right?" Mitravinda nodded silently.

"Good to know," Subhadra yawned and rolled over to the other side and as far as appearances go, she was fast asleep in a minute.

---

As the sleepless night rolled into a glaring morning, Mitra's anxiety grew. She felt as though Lord Nataraja himself were dancing within her heart. People ran hither and thither all around her, while Mitra felt like the world itself had stopped turning. Her sisters-in-law had gathered around her, adorning her in a bride's garb. Under their breaths, they muttered consolations. Nearly all of them had been abducted from their homes by Mitra's brothers, Vinda and Anuvinda. Suchitra, the youngest wife of Vinda complained, like nearly every other day, "Your brother is lucky we took our vows in the temple of Mahakala! It's the only reason, I don't just stab him in his sleep! He killed all my brothers and my nephew! He was only fourteen!" Suchitra ran away, hiding her tears. She had not yet adjusted to her life here. Devadarshita, Vinda's oldest wife shook her head in disapproval. While she hated the ways of her husband, she didn't approve of the open hostility. She had after all bore the physical brunt of her husband's anger, long back, when she still had had the heart in her to protest. Instead, she simply sighed and concentrated on braiding Mitra's hair. Her silence also stemmed from the fact that she was the only one who had chosen Vinda in a swayamvara, and held herself responsible for her fate to some extent.