Kabanata 2

"I...I can't live without my parents, you know? But if I were in your shoes, I would want to disappear or leave." sabi ni Zane. I figured out she's Zane Monica Mondragon, the daughter of Zenondo Mondragon.

"Mom and I were visiting a family friend and when we were at the road when we saw you lying in the road. We already tracked the dump truck who bumped you..." she said and there's a hint of hesitation in her eyes. Like she's hesitating to continue.

"There's a CCTV in the vicinity and... And we figure out that... That..." she can't continue saying what she wanted to say.

I nodded. "I did it. I wanted to die, Zane," I said and sighed. I look away when I saw pity in her eyes.

I am still in the hospital and I'm glad that I'm already recovering. Zane Monica and her Mom took care of me, even my billing so maybe, it's just right that I will tell my story to them. I hope they will understand me but as expected Zane feels pity.

"Still the driver needs to pay, he ran away after seeing you unconscious in the road," she said and smiled.

"What will you gonna do now?" she asked.

I shrugged and look at her. I honestly don't know what to do now. Wala na akong pamilya. I left home.

"I can tell mom to give you a scholarship. They have scholars in the company." sabi niya ngunit umiling ako.

"You and your Mom, did so many things for me. Nakakahiya na." sabi ko na ikinailing niya.

"No, you're a family to me now, Nice. Let me help you-"

"I'll work, I'll be a part-timer. I can work. I'm good at time management." sabi ko at ngumiti. "You don't need to worry. I can count you as my family too. Thank you for everything." sabi ko.

I heard her sigh and sit beside me. "If that's what you want... But I have a condo, you can just please stay with me. You can pay me or not? Whatever it is, just please let me help you with this one. Alam kong wala ka pang matutuluyan." sabi niya at napalingon ako sa pinto ng may pumasok roon.

I saw Zero entering and he glanced at me before putting a paper bag on the center table. He walked and nodded at me. He is Zane's older brother. I fid him mysterious, you know. He's not a talker and he has this cold aura. But he sometimes plays jokes with Zane and I find that weird because instead of being funny, I find him being dangerous in that.

"Mom told me that you should still rest. Don't forget to take your medicines too." he looks at his wrist and looks at us again.

"I'm leaving, I'm going to HSU." sabi niya ata agad na tumalikod upang makaalis na. Nang makaalis na ay tumingin ulit ako kay Zane.

"Are you from HSU, Nice?" she asked which made me shake my head.

"I'm from EWU." sabi ko.

Nanglaki naman ang mga mata niya.

"You mean the famous Medical State University? Did you know that they topped the Physicians exams this year? What degree program are you taking? Are you still on your Bachelor's degree?" tanong niya.

Tumango ako. "I'm a second-year nursing student." sabi ko.

"Wow, being at that university is something, you must be a genius!" sabi niya na ikinailing ko.

"I'm stupid, Zane. That's what my mom always told to me." I bitterly spat.

Her brows furrowed. "What? Stop that, please. I know, I just knew you but that sounded not good. Stop looking down on yourself!" she said.

"Gago! Hindi nga, dito nga iyon!" napatigil kami ni Zane ng bumukas ang pinto at may mga kalalakihan na pumasok doon. Tatlo sila kaya mas lalong kumunot ang noo ko ng pumasok sila.