Numbers

|Jefferson|

"Winter is the most beautiful season in New York, isn't it? It almost reminds you of.. an ice cream machine."

I almost jump out of my seat. I see the man is sitting in front of me, also looking out the window. "I didn't see you there..." I say nervously. All previous confidence I had bailed on me. "It's fine. I just got off. Wha-"

"Hello, can I get you anything else today?"

I look at the woman who has approached us. She wore a smile that held mischief. "I'd actually take another peppermint hot chocolate," I say. "I would too. Hey Eliza can I talk to you a moment?" the man said. I realized I haven't caught his name. "Sorry, Alexander, I have to get back to work!" The woman, who's name is Eliza, said. She giggled and walked off into an 'Employees Only' door.

"Sorry about her... that's Eliza, she likes being nosy," Alexander said. That felt right. "No problem, Alexander," I say, his name rolling off my tongue perfectly. A light pink blush spreads across his face. "So um, tell me about yourself," Alexander said. "Well, my name is Thomas Jefferson. I work at Washington Core. My favorite color is magenta and I really love mac and cheese," I say. "Okay, Thomas, my name is Alexander Hamilton. I work here. At this coffee shop. My favorite color is green and I love coffee," he says in response.

"Why coffee?" I ask. "Well, I want to be a writer so I stay up late writing almost every night. Coffee is very reliable," he responds. I go to press on when Eliza comes back. "Your hot chocolates. Angie said not to put anything on the house for the rest of the day," Eliza said, nodding to Alexander. "Okay," he said simply as Eliza sat down the hot chocolates.

"So, Alexander, what kind of things do you write?" I ask. "Oh- uh, nothing really important. I mostly rant about things and such..." he says before taking a sip of his hot chocolate. "You should let him read your book Alex," Eliza chuckled. Alexander blushed lightly and glared at Eliza who smirked and walked away. "What book?" I ask, taking a sip of my hot chocolate. It tastes heavenly. "O- oh, it's nothing special... just a romance novel I guess." Alexander blushed deeper. "You're into romance?" I question. "Y- yeah! I've been a sucker for love at first sight. What kind of books do you read?" he asks. "I enjoy all genres really. But my absolute favorite is fantasy with romance. It just makes everything more..." I trail off, trying to find the right words.

"... Magical?"

I smile and nod. I glance at the clock and almost drop my hot chocolate. "Dammit..." I mumble. "What is it?" Alexander asks. "I hate to cut our time short, but I should head off. I've got to get to work soon," I say quickly. "Oh... okay..." He looks down in disappointment. I bite my lip and consider the options.

You choose:

Write you number on a napkin

Pay the bill and leave a note

Leave without giving your number (but paying the bill)