12

ZAYYAD
     'Salam my Alaykum' we all said as we entered my grandparents house. We had arrived a few hours ago but my parents decided to eat at a local restaurant first before we come here.
     'Wa'alykum mus Salam, hello aunti and uncle, how are you guys doing? Oh hi Zayyad, how's Ummul Khulthum?' My cousin Hawwa says as we enter our home.
     I smile not knowing what to say as my parents hug her and ask her different questions. I stood there not knowing what to do.
    They got so intrigued by Hawwa that they started walking in to the house together with her, I trailed at the back thinking about Ummul Khulthum and Suraya. It was a funny combination but I knew nothing was in there so I thought away. I looked at my watch and saw it was an hour to closing time. That meant Suraya was getting ready to pick them up.
    She said she had found a job that pays well, she said the last time we talked about her job and stuff related to it, she said she would start on the second week of June, which meant she would either start on Monday or next week, I don't know.
    According to her she starts work at nine and ends at four p.m. and she would work three days a week. So if we are going to continue this so called schedule we have, we would have to adjust to her work schedule.
     I shook my head thinking about what I just thought of right now. I'm acting as if she is my relation. Suraya is nothing but a.... friend? I'm not even sure what Suraya is to me at this moment.
     'Zay?' My Grandma catches my attention. I look up and take in my environmental. I forgot completely where I was. I was already in my grandmas parlour.
    I looked at everyone before I answered 'grandma, Salamu Alykum, sorry my mind was somewhere else. I was just thinking about Ummul Khulthum and erm,...' I didn't mention Suraya's name cause even if I explain to them who Suraya is, they would think I have something more than just 'friends'.
     'And who?' My grandpa asks sitting down next to my grandma. I had my parents here and Hawwa's parents.
     'Erm, and how the lady or should I say Ummul Khulthum's friends auntie would come and pick her up. I was thinking if she would be able to Erm. You know, pick all three of them and still go to work that's if she has started work, which I doubt' I stopped myself from saying more because of the looks in their faces.
     'And who is this lady your talking about?' Hawwa's mother asked. Taking a sip out of her husbands tea before giving him.
     'Suraya AbdulMalik' I say simply not wanting to give out more information.
     'Has she picked Ummul Khulthum before? Cause if she has then there's no problem' my grandma says.
    I nod and pick a granola at from the bowl on the table as they talk about whatever they want to talk about. As they talk about Hawwa's wedding I think, I bring out my phone and play the game Ummul Khulthum plays on my phone.
    More family members came in and all I do is greet and go back to my phone. I never knew Tom gold rush was an interesting game. When I reached the part where I had to constantly tap the bad guy I got weird looks from my family members so I paused the game and told my parents I would be in one of the rooms if they would need me.
'What's up with you?' A voice asks and I look up to see my cousin Khalifa at the door with a confused face.
I shrug 'nothing just planning a game my daughter really likes. See? It's just like temple run but better, in a way' I say not looking up at him.
'Okay, I thought it was because of the fact that your getting an arranged marriage next. But sure. How do you play this game? Is it like subway surfers?' He asked sitting down next to me.
'What do you mean I'm getting an arranged marriage next? I'm not ready to get married nor I'm I ready to let my daughter have anew mother I do not know' and I'm not ready to stop seeing Suraya.
Well, that was unexpected of me to think of. We are just formal friends. Right? I don't even know now. Why did I think of her? Oh Allah help me.
'I thought you knew, cause you know absurd getting into an arranged marriage, so all our parents are discussing stuff right now and I over heard someone say you are also going to get an arranged marriage cause aunti doesn't want her to grow up without a mother' he explains.
I nod and think of what to do to get me out of this position. Why would mom want me to get an arranged marriage again? I mean the first one was like toffee. It was hard to ease into at first but then it was nice but it ended. I don't want another arrangement. Especially to shone I don't know. Oh what would I do now, to get me out?
But what about Suraya? She's a woman I know who's qualities are very good. She's independent also. And she loves Ummul Khulthum and Ummul Khulthum also loves her. But what if she's been engaged? No that's not possible, she would have been married years ago if she was engaged or betrothed.
Well?.........there's no harm in asking? Right? And that's exactly what I'm going to do.