Ch4: Wait and see

I released Taichi's wrist when I had successfully guided him down the cafeteria line. Honestly, I wasn't sure why I felt compelled to hold his wrist the entire time or why I couldn't seem to let go. It was also beyond me why he never protested or brushed off my grip. 

Balancing my tray in my hand, I jerked my head in either direction to find an opening. 

"Where should we sit?" 

"Anywhere's fine." 

"Maybe outside?" 

"Over there is Nishida and everyone else," Taichi gestured with a head tilt.  

No! I didn't want to see them! According to Taichi, I was terrible at playing poker face. Like glass, they would see right through me and know I was spying. Why did I feel so guilty for spying on them, when they were the ones who were "gossiping" about me? Didn't I have a right to hear?

"Karuta!" I shouted. 

Taichi flinched, "What are you talking about?"

"I want to play Karuta! Right now! Let's go," I reached for his arm, but he pulled away. 

His glare on me was unwavering. 

"No," he crossed his arms, "you haven't eaten anything all day

"No," he crossed his arms, "you haven't eaten anything all day. I don't want you fainting. So, we're going to sit with our friends and eat." 

He placed his hands on my shoulders and guided me over to the table. I reluctantly gave into his direction. Why did my shoulders feel...empty... when he released me. 

"Hey guys," Taichi said, pulling out a chair and taking a seat. 

I stood there awkwardly feeling as if my thoughts were naked.

"Are you going to sit down?" Kanade asked, her eyes flickering. She always looked composed, as she sat with the perfect posture and a napkin neatly folded on her lap. 

"Yes!" 

The chair legs screeched against the glossy floor as I pulled it out. Everyone's focus was on me now with what appeared to be irritation. 

"Sorry," I blushed. 

"Are you okay, Chihaya?" Kanade asked, placing her hand on my shoulder when I took a seat. 

"Of course! Fine. Just fine." 

"Anything weird happen today in class?" Hanano's eyes pierced me with a sharp look. 

My guilt compounded until I couldn't take it anymore! My true words...the ones I felt deep in my heart...could never be bound or held back. It always broke free. For good or bad. Just like now. 

"I was spying on your gossip!" I exclaimed, sealing my eyes, "I heard everything!" 

When I dared to open my eyes, I was welcomed by guilty expressions on Kanade and Hanano pink faces.