Chapter 48: My Birthday

May 17th, 2019...

I did not want to do a lot for my birthday. The one thing I requested was that we go to a nearby park with a few of my friends and their families' to spend the day.

My family had first arrived to set up the badminton nets, blankets, food and tents so that everything was ready by the time everyone started to arrive. Jake and Dante were already here with us since we picked them up on our way to the park, since their parents would meet us there later in the day giving us time to prepare everything.

I was slightly struggling to carry the net equipment I ended up stumbling, and falling on my bottom.

"Ah!" I winch at the sudden pain and move myself to get to pick up the objects that were all on the ground.

Dante notices me from the picnic benches and he rushes over to help me up.

"Did you get hurt?" He asked scanning me up and down for injuries.

I shook my head at him and he took in a sigh in relief.

"I'm Alright, can you please help me carry this?" I asked him.

"Of course I can, I'll do everything for you." He exclaimed while he carried most of the items with ease.

My heart started beating like crazy and I rushed to go beside him.

"H-Hey! You can't say stuff to me like that, it doesn't work on me." I told him, obviously lying.

"Sure...sure..."

Dante helps me out the nets up and once we finish up I start walking back to the others.

I notice everyone already here so I go to greet them with Dante following.

Andrew face was flustered looking at Irene so I thought I would help him out a bit.

"Hey guys! We set up the net, want to do a tournament?" I asked grabbing a badminton racket near the bench.

They agreed and almost immediately Mari tugs me by the arm to her.

"Kiara's my teammate!" She yelled while the others groaned in annoyance, apparently because they wanted me as a partner?

"Let's do Rock Paper Scissors..." I told them as they started.

While Andrew and Irene were starting to go I quickly whispered to Dante, Jake and Maria in a hushed tone.

"Trust me do paper..." I told them before turning around.

The trio looked at me with puzzled expressions, but agreed as we started the game.

"Ready...rock, paper scissors shoot!"

Every had had thrown paper except for Andrew and Irene who stunned, were the only ones who did scissors.

"Alright! You two are partners, Last round to see who gets first pick..." I said.

"One...two...three!"

I looked around and Dante ended up winning. He immediately lit up and started jumping up and down triumphantly as I tried to stifle my laughter.

Discretely, he grinned and grabbed my hand and flustered I slowly let go of it to get the shuttle.

"Alright teams are set, let's go!"

Considering Andrew and I were one of the few to actually be on the school team, Maria constantly argued that it wasn't fair, but stopped once she realized that she was embarrassing Jake implying he wasn't good at the game.

We ended up doing good with Dante and I in the lead with the most wins.

We decided that there would be a punishment for the loser, they would have to jump into the nearby lake while the water was cold.

Dante and I were sitting on a blanket nearby — laying my head down on his legs while looking up at the sky.

He started slowly patting my hair softly, and I yawned widely feeling myself getting tired.

It was getting chilly once the sun was covered by the clouds, so I slightly shivered since for once I did not bring a sweater.

I still didn't get enough sleep, but I did my best to stay awake — it was my birthday after all.

Dante nudged my head softly and I looked towards him...

"Come on let's go...Irene and Andrew Lost they're going into the lake." He said.

"Oh oka-wait what?!" I exclaimed immediately sitting up.

They lost?

I got up tugging Dante's arm and I see Andrew looking embarrassed while Jake and Mari are prancing around joyfully.

"How did this happen?" I asked showing now that I didn't expect them to lose.

Andrew sighs before rubbing the back of his head.

"We were tied but there was a hole in the ground I tripped on, and then..." he said not wanting to continue.

Irene looked perfectly fine with this and confidently took Andrew's hand to drag him to the lake.

"It's fine! Let's just get this over with okay, On the count of three, one, two, thre—AH!"

Before Irene finished the count Andrew scooped her up in his arms and jumped in landing first.

Irene starts squealing and splashing the water at him and he chuckled doing the same.

I smile softly seeing them and check the time.

" Let's go eat before we leave,"I told them as we all started heading back...

We were behind everyone so we had a bit of privacy and a few moments of alone time while everyone was in front of us.

The brunette suddenly backed hugged me, and I stay still for a moment taken by surprised.

"What's wrong?" I asked him as he snuggled his head into my shoulder.

"Nothing, I just enjoy this..." he said quietly, as I smiled turning around to embrace him.

"You know...I still haven't given you your birthday present yet." He said, my curiosity picking up after realizing this.

Everyone had gotten me their presents earlier and had given them to me already except him — saying he needed time to prepare it.

I followed him as he led me to a quiet spot and I turned to see if anyone was here but surprisingly everyone was far from view.

When I looked back at him I was stunned to see what he was holding.

"Since when did you bring your guitar?" I asked him shocked it was even here in the first place.

He didn't say anything but started playing a song I immediately recognized, it was beyond beautiful and I remember we talked about how it was one of my favourites.

I did my best to avoid becoming teary-Eyed and luckily I managed to do it. Right as he finished the song he gave me a small box...

"I figure you might need a new one..." He said slowly putting the necklace on me.

"You never cease to amaze me..." I told him truthfully.

We walked back towards the car and I sat in the back with Dante while Jake was talking with Chris in my seat.

I immediately fell asleep slightly shivering and by the time I woke up. We are already at home, with Dante and Jake gone.

I looked at myself and noticed he left me his sweater and put it on me to sleep with. I smiled to myself and joined my family inside.

This may be my best birthday yet, not just because he was there — but because I felt happier...