Marinus-9

Your POV...

Marina: Daddy?

You open your eyes and turn around. You're standing in Marina's room.

You: Hi, Honey.

She's seven now. You've just started teaching her silence, stealth, and tracking.

Marina: You look so pale.

You: Do I?

You walk over to one of her mirrors and look in it. Sure enough, you're pale. You also feel weak, and a sense of unease settles over you. What's going on?

You turn back around, but you're not in Marina's room anymore.

Marina: I couldn't make it.

You're standing on one of the streets in the city. Marina is behind you.

Marina: They caught me and beat me to death.

You turn around. She's fourteen again.  Her hair is a mess, and her left arm is bloodied from all the large splinters and spikes stuck in her arm. But other than she looks fine, not like she was beaten to death.

You: I doubt that.

Marina: Why?

You: You're my daughter. I believe you got away because you're awesome like that.

Marina: We're both dead, Dad.

You: I doubt that too.

Blood starts pouring out of her eyes.

Marina: We have to accept it, Dad.

You: What's this dream trying to tell me, huh? That I'm afraid for your life? I know that.

Blood starts pouring from the sides of the buildings around you.

You: Is that important?

You look around, surveying the blood. It starts filling up the street. When you turn back to Marina, she's gone.

You: Hm. Do I wait, or what?

After about a minute of the blood piling up, you hear a crash. Not like a pot hitting the ground, more like a wave crashing back down on the water.

You: Ah, fuck.

There are two waves of blood coming down the street towards you from opposite sides.

You: Guess I just have to take it. I'm dreaming, so I can't die, can't feel pain.

You awkwardly stand and wait.

You: Brain, you gotta step it up, man. This isn't going to freak me out.

Just before the waves hit you, everything disappears.

Marina: I love you, Dad.

You open your eyes again. You're in a dark room with a faint light in one of the corners. Probably a gas lamp. The feeling of weakness and unease still linger, but they feel stronger than they were in that dream; must have been what you were really feeling. You're lying on something hard, a table maybe. Two straps run over your torso and legs, pinning you down.

It's hard to lift your head up, but you need to look around. The room is practically empty besides you, the oil lamp, and what you're on. The most important thing is the tube attached to a needle in your arm. It's filled with blood and leads to a big bucket, but you can't see what's in it. The feeling of weakness must be blood loss. They're draining your blood.

You lay back down. You can't do anything right now; you've lost too much blood to. Is Marina ok? Sure she is; she has to be.

Unknown Man: Hello.

You don't bother lifting your head again; it'll take too much effort. His shoes click on the hard floor as he walks towards you. 

Unknown Man: How are you?

You still don't answer. He stands above you now, looking down on you. He has a cup in his hand. He takes a drink and licks his lips.

Unknown Man: Ah. Would you like some?

You: I'm good.

Unknown Man: My name is Sebastian.

You: Cool, now I know who I gotta kill.

He chuckles.

Sebastian: You look a little too rough for that, don't ya think? May I ask your name? I gave you mine.

You try and spit at him, but you miss.

Sebastian: How rude.

You: What are you doing to me?

Sebastian: Taking your donations for the day.

You: My donations?

Sebastian: Your blood.

You: Why the hell do you need my blood? Got some sick obsession with it? You drinking that shit?

Sebastian: Yes.

You study his face. He looks like he's serious.

You: I was joking.

Sebastian: I was not. It's really quite delicious. Yours tastes strange. It's unlike anything I've ever tasted.

You: You're serious?

Sebastian: Do I look like a liar?

You don't answer him.

Sebastian: From the looks some of our recent donors gave you as we dragged you here, you know them. And you had a girl with you when you were taken, so you have a group around here. We're new to town, and we'd love to make some friends.

Had a girl when you were taken. They didn't get Marina; she got away.

You: Taking people and drinking their blood is not the way to go about that.

Sebastian: We are very powerful; you do not want to mess with us.

You: Ha! You know how many times I've heard that line? Bet you can't back it up.

Sebastian: Oh, dear. None of you will give us any information. I guess we'll have to resort to the violent option. I'll see you in the morning, sir.

He plucks the needle from your arm and walks away. You hear the door open, and multiple sets of footsteps charge into the room once he's gone. They start unstrapping you. You try to fight back as soon as you can, but you're so weak, you get dizzy as soon as you sit up too. They drag you off the table and start out of the room. You try to stand up, but your legs refuse. You just have to give up for now. You have to wait until you're better to fight back.

They're taking you down a hallway. Each room has metal bars for doors, and you can see each of the five captured scouts in their own cell. You assume they're locked. Where are you? A prison? Or did they make these themselves?

They throw you in your own room and shut the door on you. Yours doesn't have bars; it's a regular door. The place is pitch black. 

You're cold, realizing you don't have anything on except your t-shirt, jeans, and boots. You feel around the room and find your jacket lying on the ground. You don't even bother putting it on; you just drape it over yourself and curl up. You don't have the energy to do anything. You close your eyes and try to forget about the cold, the weak feeling, the situation. A smile spreads across your face... She made it. She listened.

You: Atta girl.

You did it.